What does it mean?

What does it mean when someone tells you not to paint him with the same brush?

It's referring to something I said to a cousin I get along well with about my brother and his partner. My brother tried to pressure me to sign guardianship of my baby over to him when she was born, which didn't happen. I referred to that incident when I was talking to my cousin, who must have repeated our conversation elsewhere. The incident is common knowledge anyway.

So my brother's partner sent me an e-mail which said only, "Don't paint me with the same brush as you do your brother."

I have no idea what he's talking about.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2013 in Relationships

• He doesn't want to be judged for what your brother does/has done. He's trying to show that although he and your brothers are together they are both still individuals, and as individuals are not exactly the same in intent, action, thought, etc, etc. That's what the term usually means, at least...

Like someone saying you can't paint all Christians with the same brush you use to paint the WBC - we're not all the same shade, if that makes sense ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• she doesn't want you to say she is like him. What I get from it, is that he wanted to take her away from you , and she(his partner) did not
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Didn't we just answer this? Lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• dafuq?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Sorry for the double post. I didn't tink the first one went through because I got distracted.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2013