Grandson, 5 mo., is on Enfamil Gentlease, my son said it is soy based? The mom took it upon herself to feed the baby soy instead of regular and he is not gluclose intolerant!

He is somewhat fussy, his bowels are foul, (my son believes its because of the soy). Personally, i liardon't know anything about soy and why some babies drink it. And i am so out of touch i have forgot what a 5 mo old does! I am open to suggestions, please

dmr73059

Asked by dmr73059 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The mom took it upon herself to feed the baby soy instead of regular??? If that doesn't sound judgmental IDK what does! He's not YOUR child... stay out of it!! Your son and the child's mother should be talking to the child's doctor if they think it's a problem!! NOT YOU!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• If you're so out of touch and don't know anything about it, then you should probably stay out of it. The pediatrician may have recommended this.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Where I get vitamins they say that males should not eat soy so my DH gets protein from whey
    here is a link about soy formula

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/tragedy-of-soy-formula
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• where did you get that soy is recommended for glucose intolerance?

do you mean lactose intolerant? if his "bowels are foul" that could be an indicator that a lactose free formula is needed. or this could be an avenue doc and mom are pursuing to control colic.

additionally- there are only trace amounts of soy in the product. it is a milk based formula
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I'm a little confused. The baby doesn't usually take soy, but the mom gave it to him? Are the parents not together to discuss the issue? The bad poops may just be caused by the sudden change from one type of formula to another.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think you meant LACTOSE intolerant. Formula tends to lead to stinky bowel movements no matter what variety.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• She has the right to feed her child. She, not you, is this baby's mother.
    Somehow I a, "hearing" that the parents are not together anymore.

If not he might want to back off.
    He may or may not have the right to go with them to talk to the pediatrician. It will still be her choice unless for some reason your son, not, you takes her to court and a judge actually orders her not to feed soy. By that time it will probably not even be an issue any more.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I was trying to ask a general question, about soy and its nutritional value, but the replies have been wild! Yes, Crafty 26 it is the moms decision, however in this case, The mom never takes babies to the doctors for vaccinations or anything.  And furthermore, this mom went to jail today because the police came after the neighbor called complaining about the two babies ( 5mo and 24 mo) crying and crying and the mom just slept right there. As per usual, i was the person called upon to come get the kids. The mom never has never told me how to do anything with anyone of her three babies.

dmr73059

Comment by dmr73059 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Well then if you have been awarded temporary custody you need to talk to the babies doctor before making ANY changes in his diet!! If you don't have legal temporary custody then the child's father needs to make that call.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• ask a general question, about soy and its nutritional value
    but you didnt did you
    you didnt ask if soy formula has the same nutritional values as milk based formula

FYI- yes a child can thrive on soy formula if there are no other underlying medical concerns

and really, the mom was arrested because her babies were crying and she was sleeping?
    is this the mentally ill one?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2013