Can my sister in law admit me into a mental hospital because her brother calls her and sends her all the message I send him and I'm a worry wart and she thinks I'm harming myself and my unborn baby which I'm 33 weeks pregnant.

My husband is her brother and he has been ignoring me for 3 days and I have been texting him and every time I do he forwards them to his sister. Now she is sayin she is gonna admit me into a hospital. Who had legal rights to do so and is this a reason to admit someone

KFC89

Asked by KFC89 at 2:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• WHY is your husband ignoring you?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Are they married? If not he cannot do anything without taking it before a judge and even them he would need just cause for them to snoop.
    You can't do anything so my advice is for her to stay out of it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• We got into an argument and he just shuts down when he gets mad and I wanna talk ab it. He works out of town but I'm usually with him but me and our oldest daughter came home two weeks ah bc my doctor is in the state we live in and I can't drive from North Dakota every two weeks so we stayin home until baby is born. Yes we are married
    KFC89

Comment by KFC89 (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I asked him was he cheating bc he started acting really funny and this is the result I've gotten.
    KFC89

Comment by KFC89 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• To get someone placed in a mental hospital, usually for 72 hours at most, you have to show that the person is in immediate danger of hurting herself or someone else. So if you didn't say anything in the messages to your husband or his sister that would indicate you are about to seriously harm or kill yourself, and thus your unborn child, or someone else, you're probably fine. Even when a mental hospital would be the best option, it's tragically difficult to get somebody in one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• The burden of proof lays on your in-law and your brother. Do you have a history of mental disorders?
    But if your in-law calls 911 and she sends them to your place, the emergency response team can immediately do a evaluation and can decide that a trip to the ER is not necessary. It is not easy to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital and then they say see ya later alligator. You may go to court, in a (worst case scenario) but you also have the right to be at the hearing by yourself, or a lawyer, Don't have one, one will be appointed to you.
    But these laws do differ from state to state.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• 1. Stop texting/emailing your DH. Sence you know he is sending everything to his sister.
    2. Stop saying thing that will get you admited to a crazy house.

You would really have to be doing some outrages things to be admitted. IMO.
    If my DH was doing that. I would stop talking to him.

Answer by louise2 at 6:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Well certainly they can TRY to do it. But they will have to provide evidence and you will be assessed to see if you really do belong there. He's probably cheating. Since he doesn't seem to care that his sister is trying to get you committed, you might want to consider a divorce. This just doesn't sound good no matter how I try to read it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• My sister tried telling my dh I was crazy and needed locked up , she tried her best to play him saying she was worried about me etc etc, I called my local court house told them what she was wanting to do, (you have to go through them and get a mental hygiene warrant ) unless it is an emergency case in which you would call 911, anyway they told me that yes they can fill out the paper work but they have to prove it and I would be interviewed before they would just ship me off, once my dh told her that and that if they seen it was a lie she would get in trouble, she stopped . so unless you are doing or saying things that would cause you to be locked up ,stop worrying about it and stop texting your dh since he is sending everything to her.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• They can call 911 saying you are a danger to yourself and the unborn child. If the paramedics find any reason for that claim to be true, then yes, they will take you to the ER and put you on a 72 hr hold until you contract for safety for both you and your child. Never, ever make threats to harm yourself if you are just trying to get a response from someone.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2013