My dogs butt stinks

He ate ol meat when he got in the garbage now I have hum 3 baths but the smell wount go away

haleybrooke

Asked by haleybrooke at 4:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in Pets

• Well don't keep your nose there!
    Seriously, get some baking soda, depending on how big he is, pour the whole box if want. Rub it all over his body to get close to the skin, and leave it for about about a 1/2 hr. The wash him, see if you can get deodorizer soap, and give him a bath. The smell should be done. Next, to keep him out of the garbage, get some white vinegar, and a water bottle, and spray the trash. He will not go near it cause it hurt the nose. Raccoons do not even go near our garbage since I have been dousing it with lots of vinegar..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• It could be his anal glands are full. You could empty them yourself but I recommend letting a vet do it instead. You do not want that stuff in your house I can tell you that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• So he are bad meat and his butt stinks? Is it gas or is he getting the runs? If he has the runs, wipe his butt off with a baby wipe after he poops. If he is having gas, baths aren't going to help. If his anal glands are full, I second the suggestion of taking him to the vet to have them expressed. Groomers can do this as well. It is a dark oily substance that smells like, well, lots of rotten things mixed together. This is normally expressed naturally when they poop, but sometimes it doesn't happen naturally and it needs to be expressed. If your dog gets excited or scared (or anything that makes him contract the muscles in his butt), this stuff may spray out onto whatever is around him and that is a nightmare to clean up.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Stop bathing him, you are harming his skin if you are doing it too close together.
    Take him to a groomer and have them either professionally bathe him with the whole package or as them to do his nails and express his anal glands for you. That is my best advice
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think his anal glands need to be expressed. Like the lady before said you could do this yourself, I do my dogs, but I go inside the anus and you probably don't want to do that. And the and the anal gland fluid absolutely reeks, if you get this on your clothes you will stink to high heaven, even if you get it on your skin it will linger. Your vet or the vet tech can do it quick and easy for you.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2013