Does anyone WIN in debate posts?

There is a certain member here who thinks she always wins....by being obnoxious thoughts?

Asked by older at 7:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in Just for Fun

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I don't see debate as being about winning or losing. That suggests a closed minded approach, and honestly, for debate to work we need to be open minded - open to new information and willing to weigh that information against what we previously knew. In effect, we should all be "winners" because we should all be getting something out of debate.

And it's not about pushing YOUR truth, it's about working together towards THE truth. Which is why debate is more than an argument and why each side is meant to back itself up with some kind of evidence. It's about weighing through the evidence, not about who can be the most annoying, or can put the most people off. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I was unaware that debates had 'winners' this is news to me...

I thought they were formal discussions on a specific topic that take place during public gathering, in which opposing arguments are put forward, challenged and discussed...

Perhaps this 'certain member' needs to google the definition of a debate.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Yes. In a debate the biggest asshole always wins. It makes them feel better about themslves and helps them deal with their psychosis.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• The "winners" in a debate are the ones who actually bothered to listen to the other side and maybe even learned something. If you can't pry your head out of your ass long enough to hear what someone else is saying the only thing you win is shit on your face.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Well, there's that whole contest where whoever forces the most people to convert to their denomination of Christianity apparently wins a set of holy steak knives, but aside from that, no prizes that I'm aware of.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• When things get "obnoxious" & the post gets derailed, no one wins.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• the strange part is when you do say, "You Win" it still isnt happy. I even offered it a cookie!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I didn't know there were steak knives up for grabs!! I wonder if I have time to get to church?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• She wins the obnoxious twat award!

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• i had to dig around to find out who this post was about. LOL! kinda sorry i missed all the action last night. i remember that idiot.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2013