Does your son/daughter clean their room without a fight?

My 3 year old son has no problem cleaning his room. it only takes him a few minutes to put his toys back in the toy box but my 5 year old daughter will drag out cleaning her room for hours. Begging me to help and if I do Im the one doing the work. I feel like she is old enough to be doing it herself. She blames everyone else for her room getting messy except her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• sidesplittinglaughter LOL!!! Oh, you were serious?!  Um, not in this dimension on this particular planet :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• She is 5, yeah she is going to fuss about cleaning her room and while she might not need you to do it for her, a little direction would help. DS will grumble about it, but he cleans it. He is 7. Might take him all day, but that is on him. He has a place for all of his things and knows where they go. He needs help putting his clean shirts up and making his bed, other than that, he does pretty well though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I gave up on that. I just started shutting their door. Told them if it is not clean never open it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Only my youngest. He's very neat. My girls are messy. Their rooms are not even on my radar because one day I will go through them and they won't have much stuff.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I did it with them when they were little and then it was all on them as they got older. Rules were that dirty clothes had to be in the hamper if they wanted them washed and no food or drinks were allowed in their rooms. About every two weeks or so they would have a cleaning day when they simply couldn't stand it any more. Their doors were closed if we had company and it wasn't neat.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Yes. I started on him early, as a game. When he got a little older and got stubborn, there were consequences added for not doing it, and we followed through with them consistently. He's 10 now and doesn't bat an eye. He also doesn't let it get so bad that it takes more than 10 minutes to do in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Nope. Just yesterday I told him to go clean it up and he layed on the floor, put on his most pathetic face, and in his most pitiful whine said "but mommm there's just sooooo many toys, I can't do it by myself".
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Sometimes, lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Never.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• With my three the fight was with the girls, their idea of clean was putting things  things under the bed, but my son is a neat freak from day one, even as a child he kept his room spotless without having to ask him to do...

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2013