Christian arrogance

I was looking up professionals for a service I need and came across this one persons statement of their business. It said
"We all have moments when we need help in life-however Christians are the only ones with real answers"

It made me stop and think, wow! Does arrogance come as part of the packet training or is it an inborn personal trait that Christianity feeds upon?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• There's a church up the street from us that rotates through the usual "church sign sayings" through the year. Several times they've changed their sign around Mother's Day to say something to the effect of: The best gift a child can have is a Christian mother.

Ignoring for the moment that Jesus' mother was Jewish...

I do think there is an inherent arrogance in thinking your way is the correct and only way. Despite being irrational, and ignoring that their own savior practiced a different faith, it's incredibly myopic, ignoring all the thousands of changes that have occurred between the creation of the religion and the current incarnation of whatever specific denomination they practice.

If it were a trait of all religions, that would be different, but Christianity is the only one that is xenophobic to that extreme. Even Judaism mandates separation, but not the damnation of everyone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I am assuming that it is a private business and not government owned. He is still a free citizen of the US and still has right to believe and worship as he thinks. He has the right to post what he thinks in an ad he paid for , just as you do in a forum you have not paid for.
    I do not see why him posting what he wishes in his ad should bother you so much all you have to do is skip the ad and go on to the next business and let them fix your problem.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I never said he shouldn't have the right to say what he wishes. I'm just saying I'm surprised anyone subscribes to that notion. It was a bit jolting for me to see this attitude in the line of work he is advertising for.
    He can do whatever the hell he wants. Never said different.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2013

• He has the right to post what he thinks in an ad he paid for

And everyone else has the right to point out what an arrogant asshole he is for saying it. Why does pointing out someone's bad behavior always get twisted into a question of "rights"? Nobody suggested he didn't have the right to say it. The wisdom of saying it is what's being discussed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Exactly np. This a forum for discussion. I'm discussing the arrogance of such a statement. Why is that a problem for people? Don't want to discuss then move along.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think there's a mix : I think certain people express their faith in a way that reflects themselves. But also people seem to turn into what they view God and their faith as - like in our troll-fueled conversation last night, where those who see God as war-like and who buy into that spiritual warfare end up seeing themselves as warriors, etc. Then you have people being taught that their way is the only true way and that everyone else is "lost," etc, etc...

So I think it's just a combination of innate qualities finding another way to be expressed, and people being taught faith that way, depending on whichever individual is in question at a given time.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I agree band geek. But why does it seem to be so prevalent within Christianity, is my question. Why do other religions seem to be able to preach and practice in a way that is more humble and spiritual. What happened to Christianity or is it the people who have changed?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• "But why does it seem to be so prevalent within Christianity, is my question."

Ahh, haha. Sorry. I think many denominations of Christianity perpetuate this. I think it truly comes from the prevalent interpretation of the faith - that it is the *only* right way, that God is a wrathful, vengeful God and people *deserve* to be punished to hell for not being Christian, that there is a real "force" of evil out there and that all Christians are "warriors" in this spiritual warfare against it, etc, etc.

Most other faiths tend to be more ortho-praxy than orthodoxy - faith is about the action, the results, it is something you *do.* Christianity seems to be the only one where the majority of followers are focused on complete intellectual assent of various doctrines that perpetuate this us and them mentality. This lends to the tendency Christians have of not educating themselves. (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think because other faiths allow for freedom of conscience in a more true form we have more enlightened and educated individuals within those faiths, and those faiths take on a more tolerant and peaceful face. Because so many Christian denominations teach this kind of ignorance, though, you see the arrogance that goes with it. It's this whole mindset that is so closed off to the "other" that any attempt at humility is impossible, it seems. I think it really comes down to the way that that version of Christianity is taught, the stress on the "battle lines" and so forth. It's really disgusting. But it's taught, and insisted upon. So much that even other Christians who don't fit in the "us" category (those of us who don't ascribe to that particular interpretation) are lumped in with "them." If you're not with us you're against us, and only our way is the right way, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I'm just curious where this mentality started from-at what point did people become so misled AND why did people become so willingly lazy in their spiritual selves. Allowing a message to become so prevalent that is so far from the message of love and compassion for your fellow man.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2013