Is kids having fun really that bad?

I've always been very relaxed in allowing my daughter to do things for fun. Basically if she is not bothering anything or anyone and is not disruptive or loud or obnoxious -- and obviously it is safe -- I see no reason why she can't enjoy herself.

Yesterday we went to see a movie. We showed up at the very close to empty (>5 people) movie theater 30 minutes before the movie was to start and I allowed my daughter to run from one side of the theater to the other instead of just sitting there bored stiff and bottling up her energy, completely intending to make sure she stopped if/when more people showed up. My friend who was with us told me that she thinks I have a sense of entitlement when it comes to my child having fun. I asked her what that meant and she used me allowing my daughter to run around like an animal as her example.

I just don't see a problem with it or my way of thinking when it comes to this. Am I wrong?

Crud!  Just saw I clicked "Anon"...fixed it.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't have allowed that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Honestly, I wouldn't have done that. I believe in being early but, knowing that my kids have limits, I wouldn't have been that early. And, I would've made my kids sit in their seats.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I would never have allowed my kids to do that regardless of how empty the place is. What are you teaching her by allowing this type of behavior?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Does your friend have kids?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• Yes. Daughter same age.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• My kids would not be doing that. It's rude.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2013