My teenage friend is pregnant and does know what to do. What should she do?

My friend thinks that she might be pregnant but the father, her boyfriend, has been avoiding her and says that he needs to think. This is leaving her absolutely heartbroken and she really doesn't know what to do. She's too afraid to tell her parents for fear of what they might do to her boyfriend and how much trouble she might get in. I suggested abortion but she said that that isn't an option since she's catholic. She may have made the biggest mistake of her life and i know that she believes this because i recently saw her break down in tears. How should she handle this?

Crud

Asked by Crud at 12:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• She absolutely needs to talk to her mother!!! Period!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• She needs to go to her parents.
    They're not going to kill her, they're not going to throw her out. They have a LEGAL obligation to care for her.
    Yes, they're gonna yell, and yes they will probably call the boyfriends parents, but it is not the end of the world.
    She needs the help of all the adults close to her, family, doctors, teachers, and possibly social services if she decides to give the baby up.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• First of all, she needs to tell her parents. I know this is harsh, but if you feel you're mature enough to have sexual relations, you should be mature enough to talk about them and to own up to it. Make sure she know ALL her options, and I do mean ALL including abortion, adoption, and having the baby. She needs to step back and think about it and discuss it with her parents.
    Good luck, I hope she makes a decision that benefits HER.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Believe me, her parents may be disappointed with her but will never do anything to her bf that would cause them any legal troubles.
    Your friend "thinks" she's pregnant. She needs to take a pregnancy test, then depending on the results, talk to her mom.

Personally, talking to her mom would be my first choice but it sounds like she's young and scared. So find out first.
    The dollar tree sells tests if money is an issue.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• She thinks that she might be

First, she needs to know if she is....pee test...buy one , read instructions and take it
    If pregnant, she needs to see a doctor. And decide what she is going to do
    If pregnant and she is not having an abortion...her parents will find out, so she has to tell them

If not pregnant, birth control and a new boyfriend that does not use her, knock her up and ditch
    Maybe no sex for a long time is advisable
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I suggested abortion but she said that that isn't an option since she's catholic.

But pre-marital sex was? I'm not saying she should abort- I am pro-life but I find it odd she has strong religious convictions about abortion but not sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I was 16 when I told my parents I was pregnant. I was scared to tell them. They were very disappointed in me, but were also supportive. My parents and I are religious so abortion was NOT an option. They helped me find a good dr and helped me make the right decision. They also talked to his parents who forced him to step up to the plate and at least help me financially. My parents also helped me realize that I did not need to stay with him once he showed his true colors.
    Teen pregnancies are high risk and she needs to be under a dr's care, for her health and her baby's. There is a lot of help out there these days for teen mothers and I hope she takes advantage of it.
    She needs to find out for sure if she is pregnant. If she isn't, she needs to break up with him and then not have sex until she can deal with the consequences.
    In the meantime, give your friend a big hug.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Pre-marital sex was a mistake and she can say some hail Mary's and be absolved from that. Abortion is an unforgivable sin to Catholics.

tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Obviously she needs to talk to her parents. If she is old enough to have sex, she is old enough to deal with the consequences. What is she worried they are going to do? She needs to stop worrying about baby daddy and start worrying about her and her child.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• The conversation with the parents, and possibly the boyfriend and his parents, won't be fun. There will probably be tears, there may well be some accusations thrown around, but your friend needs to sep up and walk through it. If the absolute worst happens and they throw her out, they'll be in legal trouble themselves. Most likely, everyone will come together and figure out the best plan of action moving forward. Get your friend to take a pregnancy test. If it's just a scare and she's not pregnant, she needs birth control and a new boyfriend--this one has shown himself to be a bad apple. If she is pregnant, she needs to see a doctor very soon. There are things that need to be done in early pregnancy like taking folic acid, and things that shouldn't be done like using hot tubs or eating a lot of lunch meats and hot dogs because of nitrates, or drinking caffeine. This isn't going to go away; she's got to deal with it now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2013