This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!

So I was reading this post on another website. A woman was adopting her four year old foster child. Confused about the process, the little boy asked what adoption meant. To illustrate, she took him to the animal shelter and they adopted a dog. "See, he didn't have a home so we are taking him to our home to be a part of our family." They had the dog a month and she came home and he had chewed up something and she took the dog back to the pound. Now she doesn't understand why the child is in hysterics and is now acting out because he has been traumatized by this little illustration-gone-wrong! WTF is wrong with you?

First of all, you adopt a dog thinking that you wouldn't have to take the time to train it?

Second of all, you give away the dog for something that is so basic and easy to correct?

Third of all, it didn't occur to you that this would upset the child? He came home from Pre-K to hear "Oh, your dog? I took him back to the pound because he chewed the phone cord. Come and give mommy a hug!" Taking the adoption comparison completely out of the equation, that is still stupid and cruel!

One friend of mine did manage to use this illustration with success when she found out that her neighbor's kids (11 and 4yo twins) were being severely abused and she decided to foster them and eventually adopted them. She adopted a dog from the shelter to illustrate to the four year old twins, who didn't understand. They welcomed the dog as a member of the family, corrected her bad manners, and have had her for two years. Later, when they moved, they ended up with a stray and she became part of the analogy too. It's a good way to show a child what adoption means, you just have to be careful and think it through.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2013 in Adoption

• Ummm maybe she shouldn't be allowed to adopt the child. I've know people like that who have also shown no foresight or commitment with having kids just like they treat their pets
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I can't blame the kid for freaking out. what did she think was going to happen? He thinks she is going to return him too probably if hed oes one tiny thing worng.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

•   And the Dumbass award goes to......

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I agree if the dog did not work out no wonder why the kid is acting out? She didn't think she would have to have patience with either one of them? Great analogy and way to show the kid what might happen to him as well..........
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I feel sorry for the child and the dog.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• How do you NOT understand how much that would freak a child out?! What a moron!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I can't imagine returning a dog for something as trivial as chewing a phone cord. That poor kid is going to worry if he so much as sneezes out of turn. Por little guy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I have been through so much with my dogs but I love them. Those are my babies!
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I am not one for comparing dogs and kids period.
    Anonymous

• This is why I have concerns about people saying they are "adopting" an animal. When I was little we had a dog that bit a child on the face for trying to take his food. Needless to say, the dog had to go to a farm with no kids. A child who has experienced the loss of his or her first family needs a better analogy with more certainty of permanency.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2013