Do your children like to...?

read and what grade are they in? Do they read during the summer months also? Do you read with them?

My boys love to read and my 6 year old is reading at a second grade level; we go to the library at least once a week and get books

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• My son loves reading and I enjoy when he reads to me. We are always at the library. :-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• My boys are very active, so if given the choice, reading isn't their first choice of activities (although I am a very avid reader), but they don't hate it either.

I do expect them to read during the summer, but I also take it easy on them by doing some reading with them. We pick a book (like right now, it's Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island) and read it together on our Kindles. I might be reading out loud, but they follow along on their Kindles. That way I know, even if they didn't do any other reading that day, they read along on that chapter, and it's got some vocabulary that they might not always be exposed to elsewhere.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• My 11 y/o is into the Dork Diary series right now. She is required to read every day during school & is reading for the library summer reading program right now. Although she doesn't read every day in the summer. I read for fun too, although lately, I haven't been reading as much.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• both my boys love to read and sometimes prefer to read during the summer rather then play with their friends
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 7:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2013

• My oldest goes to an ungraded school (she's 9 & just finished her fourth year; that was the equivalent of 3rd grade.) The kids work on their own level & are "measured" against their own progress, so I know WHAT she's reading not what specific level it is.
    She does like to read & reads a lot over the summer. She was given a hardcover copy of "The Penderwicks On Gardham Street" at a library booth at a town fair we attended while traveling last weekend, so she is reading that along with the other books she has out from the library. She checks out Boxcar Children books for easy fun, she's reading The Silver Chair (Narnia), and some of her readers this year were the four books in the "Melendys Quartet" ("The Saturdays," etc.) by Elizabeth Enright and "Five Little Peppers & How They Grew."
    I do read with her. We just started a book I remember by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.
    My younger two will start school next year. We read to them lots.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2013