Just found out we expecting #2 I am consdiering having a home birth but my SO says NO WAY!!! any ways i can convivnce him?

I would want an ASSISTED ONE but he still thiks itsto dangerous... any info i can give him?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As an alternative that might make him a little more comfortable, you can look into birthing centers that are run by midwives and duolas (sp?). They offer a much more comfortable setting and make the rooms more home like and offer completely natural birthing options, but still have the medical equipment available right there. I'm not trying to convince you to do anything you don't want to do, but this may be a comprmise. It all depends on what each of your reasons are for wanting or not wanting a home birth and that's something you have to discuss with him.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If this doesn't work, nothing will:

1. Pop some popcorn
    2. Pop in a DVD called "The Business of Being Born" and watch it with your SO.
    3. Discuss your feelings on the matter after watching it with him.

Good luck!!
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 6:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was going to suggest the same thing... watch "The Business of Being Born" and do some research on the internet to back your decision to help him understand how safe it actually is. My husband felt the same way.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Watch the Buisness of Being Born and Pregnant in America, A nation's Miscarriage.

here's the thing. Childbirth is the one time in a marriage where what a women wants, trumps anything their husband/SO says. Only a women can go through childbirth, men are supportive and wonderful during the act but only a women will be emotionally physically scarred by birth trauma sustained in a hospital. I know a lot of women who gave in to their husbands "demands" and wound up with less than ok birth stories because of it. I am not saying that you shouldn't listen to your SO's concerns, but when push comes to shove you have more rights in this area.

Also, there are tons of studies you can show him. Check out Birth is Normal, or Birth Unhindered groups on here. Home births are statistically safer than hospital births. :) You can also find a home birth midwife and do a consult and ask questions. it may ease his mind!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Show him the numbers mama and the research that says that homebirth is perfectly safe! Men are like that, they need to see it in black and white, so do the research and show it to him....yeah, and make him watch the Business of Being Born with you....and get the book Pushed by Jennifer Block, that book will open his eyes BIG time, or at least id hope to God it would!

Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2009