Your take on if this is totally OK or selfish yucky parenting....

waking your kid(s) up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and have a drink for the soul purpose of getting them to sleep an extra 30-45 minutes in the morning.

(if they generally wake up early only because of dry mouth or needing to pee)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I would only get them up to pee in the middle of the night if they were bed wetters who might not make it until morning.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• sounds dumb to me...I mean spend that half hour getting yourself up-waking them- putting them back to bed- and trying to go back to sleep

sleeping stright through sounds like a better plan to *me*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• By the time I got up, got them up, had them use the bathroom, got their drink, got them back to bed and sleep and myself back to bed and sleep, I'd have used far more than the 30-45 minutes I'm trying to get them to sleep. I wouldn't do it.

On the other hand, I do know that when I wake up with a dry mouth, it's not just a minor annoyance. It can be really hard to deal with. So, if I were trying to avoid them getting up because the dry mouth bothers them, I'd probably see about putting a water bottle next to their bed, so they could get a drink for themselves. They could go to the bathroom by themselves, too, and then I would teach them that if they get up like that, they can either go back to sleep or they can read a book or play with quiet toys in their beds until I get up.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I'd only do it if I had a potty-trainer who would wet the bed if not woken.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I've purposely let me son stay up later than usual for the sole purpose of hoping he slept in the next morning (on a weekend, and I would not FORCE him to stay up if he were tired). It didn't work. I think it's selfish to actually wake the kid up once they are sleeping.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• *straight
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I agree with JJK. If it's just so the kids sleep in, then it's selfish.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• is this in regards to your kids?
    arent they school aged and therefore IMO old enough to grab a drink entertain themselves in their rooms (or in front of the TV) until you wake up
    assuming you are sleeping half the day away :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• yeah getting them up if they are bed wetters is understandable. Or like me, I have to give my daughter medication at night so I wake her up, she gets her meds, gets a drink, I potty her and put her back to bed. Any other reason I think is slightly selfish.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 1:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Stupid reason. Easier to just let them stay up longer, I think.

Answer by louise2 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2013