I am 13 weeks pregnant- can I get hightlights?

I really want some to make me feel pretty again, but I didn't know if it was safe or not. Anyone know?

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 7:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well. many OB's and midwifes say you shouldnt dye your hair when pregnant. Why? the chemicals and its smell -COULD- harm the baby.

youre pregnant, youre a nature beauty. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I did highlights in my hair during pregnancy. Many pregnant women go and get their hair done while being pregnant! Their isn't really good proof that this can harm the baby. Just make sure you are in a well ventilated room! Good Luck, and congrats!!

Oh yes, it is just like getting your nails done while being pregnant! All of that stuff smells pretty bad, but TONS of pregnant women go and get theirs done on a weekly basis!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I choose not to color my hair while pregnant because I know what the chemicals can potentially do. Then again, I also know the dangers of the every day household cleaners and cosmetics hold since many of the chemicals added to those are not safe, yet are used anyway. The reason they can be used is because of the amount in the product is not enough to cause a problem. What people do not realize is when all of the products we use contain those harmful chemicals, it builds up in our bodies. All babies in today's world are born toxic. The chemicals can cause ADHD, autism, bipolar disorder, reproductive deformalities, infertility, and cancer to list a few of the more common things we see today (and wonder why we see it so much).
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My doctor said yes, especially highlights since the color doesn't touch the scalp like a full color would. If it makes you feel good do it. :)
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Really - the issue is if the chemical touches the scalp, it can absorb into he bloodstream. Better safe than sorry - vanity can wait a few months! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• "Really - the issue is if the chemical touches the scalp, it can absorb into he bloodstream. Better safe than sorry - vanity can wait a few months! :)"
    LOL that sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory.
    You can definitely dye your hair. I've *bleached* mine 3 times throughout my pregnancy, as long as you're in a well ventilated area there's nothing to worry about.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i wouldn't do it just wait i never colored my hair with my first and right now i am 27 weeks with my second and trust me my hair is in poor shape and needing a dye job beyond bad but not something i would risk my other daughter over it can wait so wait if my hair is like 3 or 4 different colors at the moment as long as my baby is ok is all that matters too me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my doc said after the first trimester.... you're good
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I dry my hair when I was prego with my son.But they say its not good you shouldnt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I've read that its ok. There was a time when it wasn't , but the chemicals are much more gentle now. If you are going to a salon, I would advise going when they aren't busy, so that you can avoid inhaling too many chemicals, or if you are at home, just make sure you are in a very well ventilated area.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2009