Did you know it's Lightening Awareness week? Have you ever heard of lightening striking while skies are clear?

http://www.13abc.com/story/22668769/lightning-strikes-with-clear-sky-overhead

I came across this while I was looking for another news story & had to share with you. Be careful out there ladies. This was a bit shocking to me. (pun intended :p)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yup.... I put that in the hand out I give parents and coaches....

The existence of blue sky and the absence of rain are not protection from lightning. Lightning can, and does strike as far as 10 miles away from the rain shaft. It does not have to be raining for lightning to strike.

As a minimum, NSSL staff strongly recommends that by the time the monitor obtains a flash-to-bang count of 30 seconds, all individuals should have left the athletic site and reached a safe structure or location. Athletic events may need to be terminated....
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• ....To use the flash-to-bang method, count the seconds from the time the lightning is sighted to when the clap of thunder is heard. Divide this number by five to obtain how far away (in miles) the lightning is occurring. For example, if an individual counts 15 seconds between seeing the flash and hearing the bang, 15 divided by five equals three; therefore, the lightning flash is approximately 3 miles away.

All stuff everyone should know...
    Crafty26

• Yep.
    I was knocked on my ass once while walking through an open field. Not a cloud in the sky. The other people with me just said they felt their hair stand on end,and saw me fly a few feet back

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• didn't know that actually. but im always wary about lightning now since our house was struck about 6 or so months ago. we were all laying in my 6 year old's bed during a storm, just lounging around and the next thing i know there was a bright flash in the window next to me, a spark, and a loud sound. i shat my pants almost, ran to the bathroom with the kids because the fire alarms went off, and my youngest is still terrified of even little storms now. turns out the lightning struck something in the garage- fried it completely- and it traveled all the way up the house.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• It just felt like someone kicked me in the shin. Knocked the wind out of me,but i was fine. I think it hit near me,and I got a jolt as it dispersed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• yup, I think its called dry lightning. I'm not sure.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I never heard of Lightning Awareness Week, but given that I didn't know all of the information and others probably don't either, it seems like a good idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• My cousins wife was killed by lightning like seven years ago. Pretty crazy.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• ^^^Oh Wow! butterfly you are very lucky. The story says those type of strikes are more powerful & more dangerous (even tho rare).
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• They called it "bolts from the blue" in the story. Either way, scary stuff.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2013