How do you feel about preschooler on bus to school?

Where we live offers bussing for preschoolers. I think I'm going to drive him for at least the first couple weeks and see how he feels about it. (te morning bus is mixed with older and young kids.. Our neighbors kids would be there to help him if needed and he may like the framiliar faces). And the afternoon bus is for pre-k only which I also like. Going to play it by ear and go off of my sons feelings and my own instincts when the time comes.

How would you feel about it ?
Even after pre-k how did you moms handle first time on bus?

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• Mine youngest was 5 y/o & loved it. My middle son rode it for preschool & he was 3-4 y/o & he liked it too. It's cool for kids to ride the bus. Like getting lockers for the 1st time, they get to feel like a big kid. Bet he'll love it. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• As long as there's someone to put the kid on the bus and someone to meet him at the other end, I think it's fine. My daughter will be riding the bus to kindergarten in the fall.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• We have bussing for preK but I wasn't comfortable sending my kids on the bus. They rode together starting in 2nd and 3rd grades.

Answer by missanc at 5:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• my kids will NEVER ride a bus, they are not safe for little kids, but that's just my personal view on it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• My DD did it and she loved it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• How old was she her first time?
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• DS rode it for parts of Kindergarten. He loved it but it was actually more inconvenient for me to put him on it than it was to just drive him myself.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• not a preschooler, no. not unless i did my own background check on the driver and inspected the 5 point harness seating. i am safety minded. right now my 1st and 2nd grader (soon to be 2nd and 3rd grader) only ride FROM school. i want to know they get there safely in the morn
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Both of my kids were bussed to and from school. They both go to a school for MRDD though and have a bus aide that helps them but I think for typically developing children it would be fine too, they would most likely have a bus aide to help them. The only thing I might have issues with is if my kids had to switch buses in the middle of the route. I would be worried that they got confused or put on the wrong bus but our school system is really good about keeping our kids safe and notifying parents of issues so I think it would be a freak accident if that happened. But as I have said, my kids school and bus is for children that have developmental disabilities so the rules may be different. The safety rules are more strict. Now we did have an aide that was fired for being mean to a child but it wasn't physical, it was verbal and the driver reported her as soon as they got to the school. She was gone that same day lol.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 6:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• From what I've Brent old they have bus aides and are extremely good about knowing which kid goes on what bus an making sure its safe. The school it's literally three turns away lol you turn off my street. Turn out of my development and then it's like two miles down the road. So there isn't any switching buses. Thanks ladies!!!
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2013