Play Date Question

My daughter has the neighbor girl over right now. Last week, I bought her a Nabi kids' tablet, and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. So when I walked in the room, she was playing a game on the tablet and her friend was playing by herself with the Dora dollhouse. I took the tablet away and told my daughter that when she has friends over, she needs to play with them, and that it's rude to have her nose stuck in a video game while she has a guest in the house. She was furious with me. I said she could play with her Nabi later when her friend goes home. Do you think that's the right approach?

My boyfriend said he would back up whatever I decided, but he said if both kids were happy, I should have left them alone, and that it's a different world than the one we grew up in. Still, I think basic manners and hospitality should carry the day.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would have done the same thing. The boy has friends over and they play the Xbox and he plays his DS. It drives me crazy, so the rule is, they can only play games that everyone can play at the same time. So they can play the xbox as long as everyone can play the same game. It makes me happier that I don't have to worry about them fighting over whose turn it is and I don't feel like DS is being rude and ignoring his guests. They should play together when on a playdate.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I am with you. she has a guest and that is social time. Yes both kids were happy but they could play alone at their own houses. KWIM? If they want to play together then they need to play together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I think you are right. Your boyfriend is also right about it being a different world, but if your daughter is young. She has her teen years to sit in a room with her pals each on their own device!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• * but your daughter is young (not if)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I agree with you. When you have a friend over, you are the host and you play with them not on a toy by yourself

Answer by missanc at 5:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I'm with you on the no video games when company is over. I've done the same thing when my kids start playing with their 3ds when friends are over. It's rude and it isn't fun for the other child.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• you did the right thing imo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I am torn/conflicted. my husband is the manners 1st approach for sure. we're going thru similar struggles right now w/ our kids
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I would have done the same thing. If it's not something they can do together it can wait
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• You did the right thing imo.Ipads even educational apps have a time/place
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2013