Please explain to me the psychology behind...

kids wanting to help other kids clean their rooms. I even remember it seeming weird to me when *I* was a kid! I don't get it... ??

example:
"Hi Mrs Smith, can Joey ride bikes with me?
Sure thing Tommy. He'll be out as soon as his room is clean.
Well I'll just go in and help him ..!!!"

wtf? I seriously don't get it... you wont clean your own but your friends is OK?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Probably so the friend will be able to ride bikes quicker.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• The sooner it is done the soon they can go play together.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Work is always more fun with a friend/company, you can see what they have for toys, it gets them out faster.... it fosters team work - great as vocational training. Really... it's a good thing!! My kids always clean like that... they help each other. Not a bad thing at all!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I don't know really, I never had any friends growing up. Kids I might talk to at lunch or something but never really saw them outside of school. I don't think I would have minded helping a friend clean their room though, I was pretty used to cleaning. If my room was a mess I risked the chance of being woken at 3am to my mother throwing things, dumping out my drawers or ripping clothes out of the closet then telling me I couldn't go back to bed until it was all put away again. I just learned to keep it clean to begin with. My kids are too young to have friends come over and offer to clean their rooms but I think if that ever happened I would nicely tell the child that my son has to clean his own room, its his responsibility. Otherwise I would be worried about a Tom Sawyer chain reaction lol
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 6:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• We talked about this yesterday. We were waiting to go on a ride with some friends. She was just getting home from grocery shopping, and had to unload the car and put everything away. We all grabbed bags. (My husband doesn't help ME carry the groceries in, even when I call and say I'm on my way, or sit outside and honk the horn!!) We wanted to get on the road!
    My hubby started saying when he grew up lots of his friends lived on farms, and they couldn't play till work was done. So in order to get to play faster, the neighborhood kids would help. He said he did a lot of farm work for free between the ages of 8 and 15!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• so he can play sooner
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• It's OK when you're not being forced to do it. Besides, you get to check out all the stuff theyhave. And then there's the getting to the bikes faster thing. Kids- what can you do?! :p  If it's any consolation, they can't figure us parents out either! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2013