Irritated with school... as if i didnt have enough on my plate already

so i recently registered for classes at the local community college, my plan was to start in the fall. my oldest will be in 1st grade, middle starting pre-k and i'd put my youngest in preschool 2 days a week. i was only going to take 2 classes for now, 1 online and 1 on campus.

anyway ive taken classes there before, but it was on and off from 2005-2008. at that time my parents were paying for it. i did manage to earn 8 credits, A's & B's and a 3.5 GPA.

now i need to apply for financial assistance. i did all that, talked to the financial aid dept at the school and was turned down because i didnt qualify for three reasons- didn't maintain a 2.0 GPA every semester since 2008 (because i havent been a student since then), didn't complete atleast 67% of classes toward my degree (because i only have two classes under my belt so far) and some other reason i cant think of. anyway the financial aid dept at school told me to file an appeal. i wrote a very nice letter explaining why i took a 5 year break and how i have plans in place now to be a successful student.

today i finally heard back, and the appeal was denied. because of those three reasons. so now im pissed off because those three reasons were true BEFORE i did the appeal so why did i waste my time doing the appeal? im going to look into other options- student loans, grants, etc- but im feeling kind of discouraged now :(

*didnt know what category to put this in now that back to school is gone*

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• Did you fill out the FAFSA?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Have you called and talked with a superviser? It doesn't make sense that you could have a below 2.0 since 2008 when you haven't taken any classes to be graded for. did you register and then not complete any courses or withdraw/drop any?

Some universities have a program sometimes called second chance programs for students who had a lot of trouble before(though I don't think you fall into that catergory), it usually requires that you make a plan for courses and expected graduation and stick to the schedule. Regular financial aid won't always tell you about this programs.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• my gpa is a 3.5 but one of their rules for aid is maintaining a 2.0 PER semester. so i guess since i left for 5 years i don't fall under that category. i did withdraw from classes but only once in 2008, and it didn't effect my gpa. i also withdrew before the penalty date.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Is there a guidance counselor you can talk to? There may be options you haven't considered. Financial aid can be really tricky.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• See if the credits can be transferred to another online school?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• I'm with you frustrated,and confused, if you were registered with the university since 2008 you didn't have a below 2.0 GPA you had NO gpa because you were not a registered student. Yes you were accepted but you wasn't a current student.

How many people have you talked with?

School sounds insane to me. Are there any other schools in your area?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• There is something wrong. That is not how financial aid works. The 67% is if you take 4 classes and drop two during the middle of the semester. That would only be a 50% rate of completion. Also, the 2.0 does not count against you if you don't take any classes. I would go to the financial aid office and ask to speak with someone. I would also check to see if you have any holds on your record that could be causing this problem. If that doesn't work, then go to your state's college board and seek assistance. What they are doing is not right.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• i have only spoken with one person in the financial aid department at the campus. and yes it was the FAFSA i filled out. i just applied for direct loan now so we'll see where that goes i guess. apparently my rate of completion is only like 26% but again that's because i've only completed two classes since 2005. i agree it's been 5 years so none of that should be valid anymore.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• schedule a meeting in person
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2013

• Oh, I see. You took a few classes but only completed two. Is that correct? If so, then that makes sense. What you may have to do is see if you can get a loan, complete your two classes for the Fall semester and appeal the decision again. They basically want you to prove yourself that if they give you money, then you will complete your classes.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2013