i dont have a treadmill. is running in place the same thing as running around? does it have the same effect?

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 7:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yeah it can but make sure youre wearing good shoes because running in place puts more of an impact on your legs then a treadmill would.

Answer by gemgem at 8:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Is this a serious question? No it's not the same thing, moving your legs up and down (running in place) and actually running uses different muscles.

Try running outside, if you can't for whatever reason, go to a park or a school with a track.
    ashpat79

Answer by ashpat79 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have a DVD by Leslie Sansone. She will walk a mile or two which ever chapter you chose! I paid between 10-15 dollars and it is very helpful, I can do this on rainy days, and during nap time! Maybe this is something you could consider. Leslie has about 20 different dvd's to choose from too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'd think you'd burn more if you were actually propelling your body forward instead of just staying in one spot and as the previous poster said, you use different muscles. 

Leslie Sansone also has a 4 Quick Miles (I think that's the name of it) where she does intervals of walking and jogging - and then I think it has a quick jogging workout on there, too, as something separate.   She typically incorporates knee raises, side steps, front kicks and walking/jogging in place. 

You could also check out Collage Video - they have a ton of different workouts to choose from and you can preview some of them on line to see if you're interested. 

swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 9:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• thank ladies. i heard it was the same thing and i wanted some input from other women cause it seemed more difficult for ME to run than run in place. i figured it might of been different for other women.
    so no, its not a serious question. geezz. chill the hell out ashpat.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009