• In the Spotlight:

Would you ever consider installing internet monitoring software on your home PC?

For the parents of teens (13-14 and up) who use the internet in your home, do you find it a problem to install an internet monitoring software on your PC at home and would you do it if you could?

NOT because you don't trust your child, but just because children at this age are at a point where they do not want their parents to hang over them on the net, yet are still naive to a lot of things due to their brains not being fully developed as an adult.

No matter how well you think you raise your child, there are still outside influences as well as overwhelming horomones in kids at this age. I can personally still remember those days! lol.

So, what would you do--considering there is so much more out there coming into our homes than there was when many of us were that age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have teenagers and I dont have monitoring programs on their computers. So far theyve been pretty good about staying on sites that I know like myspace, aim, etc. I check their computers and their personal myspace and facebook accounts regularly so they know Ill know what theyre up to.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I've done it when I thought my husband was cheating on me and I probably would if I suspected my children might be engaging in unsafe activities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Our computer is in a main living area so I am constantly monitoring it and our rule is that no computers are allowed in the bedrooms, but if I felt the need, then yes I would. Its got nothing to do with trusting the child. Its the outside influences that you don't trust. The problem with most teens and their parents is that they trust them until they find out theyve done something bad and made a poor choice, often with lifetime consequences. I made the same mistake, but it was just her conscience that was hurt. I hated the fact that I gave her the benefit of the doubt in an adult situation when shes only a child. We can't put them in those scenarios and expect them to just make the right decision without giving them the tools to do so.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My SD is 16 and totally stuck on MySpace etc....We put an application on there that tells us every keystroke, every screen, password, IM, etc. It's only as good as you use it. Her Dad has looked once or twice, I think he is afraid of what he will find. Kids think they know it all (didn't you?), parents have to check things out to head off trouble. Great spy wear "Spector" about $100, can't be detected.
    Marena56

Answer by Marena56 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have 2 teenage boys, but mostly I put Safe Eyes on my computer for my husband. He was surfing porn sites and I don't want that on my computer. (that's a whole other issue). But it is great for my sons, too. Don't have an internet monitoring, but definitely would if I had daughters or my kids were young.
    4leese

Answer by 4leese at 6:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Most certainly would. I have had to ban my son from computer becuase of the places he was visiting and the content on his myspace page. I always had the computer in family areas but even with me watching he was doing some bad stuff on there. Big thing was sneaking on after i had gone to sleep. A couple times of waking up at 2:00 a.m. and finding him on the computer he lost his rights to use the computer. The content these kids put on Myspace just gets worse and worse the older they get - i couldnt believe the things kids post on there so i had to ban myspace as well.
    WinnieM

Answer by WinnieM at 8:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thanks to all of you for really easing my mind on this :-) For about $30, I bought a program called "I Am Big Brother" and it's awesome...records websites visited, keystrokes, etc. The keystrokes recorded include sign-on id's and passwords, so that's a little tempting right there.

I feel a lot better knowing what is going on and with all this new communication technology like IM and all, it's hard to know what kinds of friends our kids are dealing with sometimes.
    Anonymous

• I had an internet monitoring system, and I didn't feel bad about it at all. however, I did tell my kids about it ahead of time. I'm not out to "catch" them doing something that they aren't supposed to be doing. I want them to know that I care about them and that it's my job to protect them.

I never had a problem. I feel the same way about checking up on my kids when they say they will be at a friends house. My oldest daughter asked me once, "why can't you just trust me?" I told her that i did, I trusted he to be a teenager and to think like teenagers do.

I respect my kids' privacy, that is why I tell them when/if I will be looking over their shoulders. I don't go through their stuff unless I feel it is necessary. Believe me, there are things that I don't want to know about. But if I am ever concerned, I will feel good about taking the necessary precautions.

Angie Blackwell, The Parenting Coach
    familycoach4U

Answer by familycoach4U at 3:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I have it on mine and dont feel the least bit guilty. I have 5 kids, 4 who use the computer. Thankfully I have awesome kids the worst thing I saw was pictures of the wwe wrestling girls.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2009