Another Parekeet Question

A few months ago, I asked about my female parakeet, Pixie. She had gotten a growth on her chest. I took her to the vet, who said there wasn't much that could be done. He didn't know what the growth was, but he knew he couldn't remove it because small birds don't usually tolerate anesthesia well, and she probably wouldn't live through a surgical procedure. He said to just keep her comfortable and wait. I prepared my daughter for an expected loss, but it didn't come.

The growth got bigger and bigger, till it was hard for Pixie to get food from the dish and groom herself. I had to wash her and trim her beak because she couldn't reach the cuttlefish bone in her cage. She seemed thin. I started to wonder if having her put down would be the best thing to do.

Well, this is the weird part. The growth started to flop around, like it was barely hanging on. Then yesterday, it just up and dropped off. Pixie is the same shape as she was before the growth appeared. She seems fine. There's no disturbance in her feathers, no blood, no skin problem, nothing. It's like the big lump never happened. My daughter thinks she had an egg stuck in her and she finally laid it, but it was in the front, not behind.

Does anybody know what might have happened? I'm really just astounded. I used to do parrot rescue, and up till now I thought I was fairly well informed about birds, but this is just freaky. Someone enlighten me, please!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Pets

• Lipomas are benign tumors that are composed of mature fat cells. “Most of them are found just under the skin, rarely infiltrating into muscles or organs,” Burge noted. “They are very commonly found on the upper chest and over the abdomen, although they may be found in other locations on the bird’s body.” Lipomas don’t usually cause birds a lot of problems unless they get so big that they interfere with leg movement. If they are becoming a problem, many times putting the bird on a low-fat diet will be enough to shrink down the fatty tumor, or even get rid of it all together. In extreme cases, lipomas can also be surgically removed. These tumors generally occur in overweight birds and are most commonly seen in budgerigars; and Gallah, rose-breasted and sulphur-crested cockatoos.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Wow, that is amazing. I'm so glad your little bird is OK. I've had birds my whole life & never heard of that.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• another possibility is that the growth may have outgrown it's blood supply. With out a blood supply the tissue would die. In some cases it would just rupture and become an infected mess. In other cases it can simple die and fall off. It may return later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• So strange it fell off. Can you take the growth to the vet to determine what it might be?

Lipomas are common in humans, too, running strong in my family. My grandfather had hundreds, giving him a medical discharge during WWII (they thought it would kill him). I've never heard of them moving or surfacing, tho.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Would it just disappear like that, though, all of a sudden? Her diet has been the same except she wasn't eating as much because the growth got in the way. Thanks for the info.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2013