What's it like having a root canal filling??

My dentist has recommend one :0/

Is it painful? How long does it take? What is recovery like? Have any of you had ongoing facial pain problems afterward??

At this point I'm thinking I'll have it extracted instead!

Cushty

Asked by Cushty at 6:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Health

• I've had a couple of root canals. You're pretty numb for a while, & just a little sore after. Motrin should work for the day or 2 after. It is cheaper to have a tooth pulled, but depending on where it is, you may not want to have that done. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It is uncomfortable and takes a long time. Not fun at all. But after the numbness wears off , you should be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I had one about 2 months ago- felt NO pain. like not even soreness from the shots afterwards. I took 2 doses of the meds they gave me just in case, and that was it. *the 2nd one I took only because I was going to bed and wanted to make sure that I didn't wake up in pain

I was so worried about it, and it really wasn't a big deal at all- other than the price ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• All I can say is research root canals- there are questions about them being over-prescribed, being linked to breast cancer and many other negative things. Just be informed before taking your dentist's word for it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You should be getting a crown and not a filling. The navy dentists who did mine only put a filling. Tooth abscessed a few years later and I went for the extraction instead of an apicoectomy which would have drained the infection but only gave a 15% chance of keeping the tooth because after root canal, the tooth is very fragile so that's why you get a crown.

Pain wise that one hurt because the dentist wouldn't wait for the tooth to numb. My last one felt like a filling and I didn't have much soreness afterwards.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You might want to get a second opinion, but I have had a couple of root canals and as long as the area was numbed well it wasn't a problem for me. I didn't like keeping my mouth open for a long time, but had no after pain or anything.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It was uncomfortable and seemed to take a while, but there was no actual pain for me. It wasn't that much worse than a regular filling.
    emma-s

Answer by emma-s at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I am scared to death of the dentist. Unfortunately I have had to have 2 root canals and 2 crowns. My current dentist gives me valium before each visit, or I would not be able to go. The first root canal was with a dentist that must have been related to the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors, and I was in excruciating pain. This was 35 plus years ago. The second was with my current dentist. I was highly drugged, (thank you valium) and there was no pain. The crowns were more uncomfortable.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I had one, and it was uncomfortable, but nothing worse than that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2013