Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of you ladies know?

I'm wanting to get a divorce i have 4 kids and i was wondering how i would go about getting help to get on my own two feet? Such as help for housing and what not?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • Call your local welfare office

    Answer by funlovinlady at 9:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Go down to your health and human services department and ask. You should be able to get food stamps, WIC, possibly cash aid fairly easily, and maybe child care subsidies. In my area, the wait list for section 8 is a few years long. Take the majority of money out of any joint accounts you and your stbx share. Get a job and find the cheapest place you can possibly live. Is there a friend or family that has a couple extra rooms? Make goals for where you plan to be in 3 years, 5 years and then make a long term plan on how you plan to get there (that may involve moving up in the company you're in, going back to school, living in a not so nice area for now so that in a couple years you will have enough down payment for a house, etc.) Talk to everyone you can! I was single for 3 years and was still finding out about new programs for single moms when I married, but many are local.

    Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Thank you for the help

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • When my mom wanted a divorce (she was a housewife with no money of her own) she made a game plan - she found a job, and then opened up her own bank account and started putting money aside each paycheck. She hired a lawyer to find out what her legal rights were and to start the divorce paperwork. Each day she looked at the paper to find a place to rent that was within her price range and in a decent location. Once she found a place she started to move things out slowly, and then told my dad the day before the 'big move' (when furniture, clothes and all our personal belongings would be moved) that she was moving out.

    Answer by MizLee at 10:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Check with women's shelters in your area. Even if you are not in danger or being abused, the staff there will know what steps you need to take and who you should call for assistance.

    Answer by Ballad at 4:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Hopefully family will be able to take you and your children in.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.