Slow drain?

The sink in my oldest son's bathroom drains very slowly. It's been this way for a while so last weekend I finally bought some drano max and used it. It's some better, but still fairly slow. Is there anything else that will work better?
I'm trying to avoid having to snake the drain!

Asked by missanc at 9:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Home & Garden

• i've always done the baking soda and vinegar down the drain,let it sit,and then follow it an hour later with a few gallons of boiling water

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• i always prefer to take off the pea trap
    kids put weird stuff down drains...like toothpaste lids :(
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• my daddy is a master plumber/ pipefitter he says NO DRAINO it makes the drain sticky and harder to drain. Pour boiling hot water down the drain, it helps.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Plunger?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Yeah feral - my oldest has autism and we've replaced more toilets than I can count because he used to shove his flush his toys all the time. The one time we had a plumber come out he had an entire handful of toys he pulled out!

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Do you have a septic tank? It may be that it needs to be pumped out. That's usually how we know ours needs it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• The one time we had a plumber come out he had an entire handful of toys he pulled out!

unwound container of dental floss was the weirdest thing we have found in the toilet
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It's gross, but if you think hair might be the problem and you have an old-fashioned wire coat hanger, you can straighten it out and make a small hook on one end, then stick it down the drain and pull out the wad. My boyfriend and I keep a hanger for that purpose on the towel rack, and periodically pull out what looks like a large drowned mouse from the drain in our bathroom.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup white vinegar, let sit for 30 minutes, the pour boiling water down the drain, sometimes you need to make a couple of big pots of boiling water!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2013