I feel so bad :(

On days my hubby has to work but I don't, we usually let the youngest snuggle in bed with me & watch TV til we fall asleep. Well, I thought she was sleeping & decided to check out that "Under the Dome" show that premiered last night, just out of curiosity. Well, IDK if any of you saw it, but right at the beginning when the dome was dropped over the town, it landed on a cow, cutting it right in half. It was pretty bloody too. Next thing I know, my dau is crying b/c she saw it. I told her it wasn't real & they would be in big trouble for hurting animals. I held her & said I was sorry & even tried to make a BBQ joke to lighten the mood. Poor thing.

Have any of you ever had to deal with something like this? What happened & how did you handle it?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• Aw, poor thing. See, it would have been me freaking out, I don't do well with horror stuff or violence. But you know, Mom, she'll be okay. If that's the worst thing that happens to her all week, she's a lucky kid. Don't beat yourself up. You spent time snuggling with her, and that will be the lasting memory.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I thought the cow was AWESOME!!!

But for an 11 year old, yes, that could be too intense. Especially if she was half asleep, rolled over and that was the first thing she saw!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My DD saw one of those picture graves when we went to go to the FIL grave. It was a picture of a little girl. She got very upset when she found out that kids could die too. I told her the girl was very sick and doctors tried to make her feel better but there was nothing more they could do. I told her, her dying made her not sick and hurting anymore. ( i don't know if that was true but only thing I could come up with) I am also atheist so I couldn't just tell her about a heaven I don't even believe in. I told her her dad he needs to handle that part of the talk if he wants her to believe in a heaven.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Yeah I saw it- when it happened I wass like "well, that's not something you see every day!"
    my son used to be VERY sensitive at that age as weel. He would freak if we watched anything with violence when he was around. Being that she is 11, I would just tell her it was not something you expected and that you thought she was asleep and you're sorry she saw it - and that it's just a tv show with lots of effects.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• In that situation, I think crying is a normal response after seeing something upsetting to someone, so what happened sounds healthy! As long as your attitude/response conveys that it's okay to cry & makes sense to cry when upset, I think you've done what's necessary. What charlotsomtimes suggested (that you didn't expect that scene, that you thought she was sleeping & not watching, and you're sorry she saw it because it was upsetting) is good info to convey. It gives her the context for how it happened & shows you care. It also shows that you are anchored.
    Then basically an understanding "Yeah, that was really upsetting" response is, I think, sufficient. Being there while she cries is the thing to do when a child cries. Focusing on trying to stop the crying doesn't send the best message, I think. If she cries & says what she needs to, she will scrub out the upset, the surprise & the disturbance. Crying is a healthy response!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• i let my kids watch idle hands before they were ready for scary movies
    MAJOR mom fail. but it was early in the day and by night time they were ok and are now horror film junkies

how old is she? would explaining to her that if it was real youd have been able to actually see things like the inestiines and stomach help?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• *as well

He was actually wathing it with us last night (he is almost 17 now) and it didn't bother him.
    *and yeah- I was surprised at the...gorey-ness? of the beginning of the show.
    the only comment he made about it was about the arm or hand or whatever that was cut off- he wanted to know how that was still inside the dome! Haha
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I watched that - my 11 yo would have freaked out too!

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• She's 11 y/o & just very sensitive. And an animal lover to boot. She doesn't like bloody or scary things either. My bad- I thought her eyes were shut! :/

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• *watching

TYPOS! ugh...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2013