*update* on my DD giving herself a haircut

The other day my DD (5yo) cut a chunk out of her hair in the front. It was very short, no bigger then 1/8 of an inch and other parts were jagged looking bangs. She had long beautiful hair to the middle of her back.
After work yesterday I took her to the salon and handed her a book of hairstyles and told her to pick one. She picked a very short cut right before they got started I asked if her hair was long enough for donation and they said yes but they had to cut a little shorter then what she wanted. I showed her a pic of a A-line style haircut and asked her if she liked that she said she did. I then asked her if she wanted to cut it to that style so she can donate her hair to a little girl who has no hair. She got so excited and said yes.
She is so excited for her new style and excited that her hair is now going to a "Children with hair loss". She wants her hair to go to a baby girl with no hair LOL. I tried to tell her babies are already born with no hair, so she hopes they make a baby wig for baby now.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Way to go, Mom, turning a bummer into a blessing. And your daughter sounds like a sweetie.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Win win all the way around.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• That's a really nice story. I'm glad she was able to choose, and that she's excited about donating. (To a bald baby girl!)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My daughter has donated several times. Her hair grows so fast, it's crazy. My son also donated his hair once. He had hair that went to the middle of his back. It was funny, after he cut his hair he was actually marked as absent several times because the teachers didn't recognize him. Also, just about everyone I talked to for like a year after, was sad he had cut his hair.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I'm so glad that you were both able to be happy with how her hair turned out, and that she was able to donate :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Awwww, that great. You turned a negative into a positive.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Aww- that's great. My 11 y/o donated to Wigs for Kids over the Spring Break. Last November she was with me when I had 11 inches cut off for Locks Of Love. Hope she knows what a great thing she's doing & that she likes her new look :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• That is sweet. You also showed her a way to help someone else.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I am glad she got to donate, but I hope she understands that she can't cut her hair again.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• That is wonderful. I'm glad she was able to donate.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2013