Any Mom's experienced with kids sleep walking?

My Son (6) got out of bed last night (I heard his bed creak loudly) & I went upstairs to check him. It was dark in his room & I couldn't find him in the bed. I turned around & he was standing with his back to me facing the corner of his room just standing there. Scared me to pieces BTW! I went over to him & picked him up & put him back into bed. I turned on the light dimly & I asked if he felt alright & if he wanted water & I couldn't wake him so I just covered him & let him sleep. He doesn't remember anything this morning. I have a gate at the top of the stairs for the baby so I am happy I have that.
He's done this before but usually sits up in the bed & talks. Now he's walking.
I wonder what causes this & if you have any experience with it?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 11:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son used to take various allergy meds ... singulair was the worst, and caused assorted sleep issues

he's currently 8 1/2 and we just THIS YEAR took the monitor out of his room. the rule of thumb for ME was 6 months with no sleep walking.

if it continues consider a sleep study. its incredibly non invasive.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I was like that when I was a kid, outgrew it around 10 I think. I scared my parents BAD. My cousin used to live down the road from us (less than a mile) and I stayed the night over there, I got up and walked home. I beat on the door until I was let in. I don't remember it but that's what mom told me. Just keep the baby gate up, and make it impossible for him to get outside. If you hear him wake up, just direct him back to his bed. If you wake him, he will freak out.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My middle son did this for awhile when he was about 8. We were planning a trip to Wyoming and had been talking about it a lot. One night I was up watching tv, and the boys were all asleep. My middle son comes out into the living room sits down in his dad's chair and starts putting his shoes on. I looked at him and said "Jayson, what are you doing?"

I could see that his eyes were glazed over, he didn't really look awake. "I'm almost ready to go." He said.

"Jayson, where are you going?"

"To Wyoming. I'm going to Wyoming."

He was responding, but he wasn't actually awake. I tried to get him to respond, but he really just wasn't there. I finally got him back in bed, the next day he didn't remember it at all. It really worried me because we lived right off of Pacific Coast Highway at the time, and I thought what if he had walked out the door? Luckily, it only happened a couple of times and he never left the house.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I was a sleep walker. I usually just walked around the house. I walked out of the house 2 times when I was a teen. The first time I woke up knocking on a neighbors door, and the second time I woke up walking down the street. The only way I could have gone outside was to unlock the dead bolt on the door, so if you are concerned about him going outside, you might want to put a lock way up high. The reason you couldn't wake your son was because sleep walking happend during the deep sleep phase of sleeping.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My oldest used to do this. He outgrew it around 8 or 9. He used to come downstairs and have conversations with me, appeared awake, and would argue with me til I agreed to whatever it was he was dreaming about.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I used to do it and hold entire conversations that evidently made no sense (must have to me)
    My parents were told not to wake a sleepwalker and that is the info I still have just take the precautions to keep them safe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My 2 Year Dd Does This She Started Doing It When She Was About 25 Months She Is Now 31 Months She Had Done It Twice So Far.
    The First Time She Did She Got Out Of Bed And Ran Into Her Gate In The Middle Of The Night Completely Knocking It Over And Woke Up Screaming The Second Time She Was Just Standing There About 5,Ft From Her Bed. I Think It Spends On
    Certain Foods They Are Eating. We Have Been Changing Her Diet And Seeing What Makes A Difference. I Would Try That.
    proudmommy1514

Answer by proudmommy1514 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Hid did eat a later dinner than he usually does.
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2013