DoE will now start tracking religious and glbt bullying in schools on a national level

From the document filed by the DoE:

The NIH’s Health Behavior in School -Aged Children Survey reported that 8.5% ofstudents (grades 6-10) are bullied about their religion. Another survey found that, of those whohad been subjected to religious slurs and degrading language in school, Jewish and Muslim students were more commonly targeted. Likewise, despite the lack of nationally representative or uniform school-level harassment data, bullying and harassment in educational settings of those perceived to be lesbian, gay or bisexual is reportedly common and has a negative impact on those students.

You'd have to be blind not to see the commonality - non-Christian students more likely to be bullied and those perceived as being something campaigned against by some of the more outspoken Christian denoms are commonly bullied.  How long until we see the hardcore right response, and which tactic are they more likely to take - "anti-Christian persecution" or "attack on free speech"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Attack on free speech seems to be the main go-to lately from what I have seen.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Around here you'll just see responses saying, I"m a Christian and my kids never bully anyone.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I agree - the attack on religion and free speech seems to be the only kind of response we get in these kinds of situations.

The problem is that so many denominations of Christianity are so militant in their beliefs about spiritual warfare and those who are on the "wrong" side of belief. As long as people are taught this version of faith we're going to see them lashing out at others for being wrong or evil, etc. And then when you try to tell them they shouldn't they get upset because it's not like they're saying anything that isn't "true," in their minds, so they should be able to say it, they think. It's stifling the "truth," it's an attack on righteousness, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Well, I'm glad they are taking bullying at any level more seriously. It has no place in civilized society. Children should be able to attend school & get their education, w/out fear of being made fun of for whatever reason.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I suppose gathering information is the first step, but here we have another study that tells us what we pretty much already knew.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• from what ive seen in schools in my district...theres no question that its a Christianity problem, but its getting better. not a subbing goes by where i dont overhear (and once was flat out told) something negative about so&so's "wrong" religion or how that gay kid is "gross". but almost every time one kid has said something along the lines of "dude whats wrong with you?!" especially, when its LGBT related.

the time i was flat out told that being gay was "a gross sin" (in reference to a teen who wasnt there that day's sexuality) about half the class told him to shut up and pointed out what a jerk he was being. it was awesome! i think a lot of it has to do with education of both the parents and the community. as ppl become less fearful and more educated about homosexuals and those of other beliefs the less likely those ppl are to be bullied.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• oh and i hope they are able to find enough information to make at least some of the fundies realize how wrong they are...like they did with their hate for racial minorities.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Hmm...and here I was being a bit happy about this. My child was bullied, harrassed, and slandered throughout the school year last year for being a Christian, and when she appealed to the admin for help per the school policies, she was told there was really nothing they could do since the other child wasn't willing to sit down and talk about it. When I stepped up, I received the same run-around.

Apparently, it has already been determined how the info in this "study" will be used. Very sad. Very sad, indeed.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2013