Would you write a check out if you had nothing in the fridge?

I don't get paid til Thurs. and today is Tues.

I want to go get some food but too embarrassed if they don't take my check :(

What to do to carry me over til payday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• JJK I think she means she will float a check because there is not money in the account.

Oh. OP, don't do that. You'll get in deeper with overdraft and returned check fees.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Most places now run checks instantly, so be careful. Try a food bank to keep you going for the next two days or borrow a little bit from a family member.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Actually, it can be different. Some places still take them like checks, where it can take a day or two to clear, and you might be okay. But a lot of places, like Wal-Mart (or at least the one near me), run it through their machine, and then it comes out of your account just like a debit card would.

If you need to do it, you need to do it. But I would be really wary, because if they do it like a debit card, it will come out, and you be in the negative for the amount of the check, plus the bank fees, AND the store will charge for the NSF fee, too. A better option might be to see if you can borrow $20-30 from a friend or relative so you can get some really cheap stuff and then pay them back when you get paid on Thursday.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• there's no food in the house?
    no pasta, rice, beans, peanut butter?

just try the food bank because like stated above if that check clears before youve money in the account its going to cost a weeks worth of groceries to pay the fees
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

What about a local food bank?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Check the churches in your area. Many offer free dinners & may even have a food pantry that could help get you by. Call your local United Way (211) for a list of places in your area. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I would scrounge for some change and get some bread or ramen or something- and call food banks and churches before writing a check there is no money to cover

can you borro 5 or 10 bucks from anyone?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't float the check because you'll end up owing more.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• May not be what you want to eat but there is something to eat until then. Suck it up. Writing a bad check is theft.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• *borrow
    charlotsomtimes