Can I put my curtains in the washing machine?

They are 4 panels, look to be cotton or something- not stretchy or fancy fabric- SUPER long ceiling to floor black out panels...

COVERED in cat fur because the cats love to sit in the window. I have had them 3 years and never washed them. I just vacuumed them but couldn't get all that fur off.

Would it just be a disaster if I put them in the washing machine? Clogging the machine and making them all crinkly?

I don't iron. It would be the dryer.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Home & Garden

• is there a tag on them that tells you how to wash them?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Thank you! Yes! They are target home 100% cotton and it says dry clean

That won't happen! I've never dry cleaned anything in my life.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Never noticed that tiny little tag up there
    staciandababy

• You don't iron or you don't HAVE an iron?? LOL
    It sounds like maybe you could, but chances are they'll need ironing. Don't try to cram them all in one load or they will be worse!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• They sell those dry cleaning things in stores. I use them for my nice clothes that are dry clean only.

All you do is stuff it in a bag and throw this wet cloth in and put it in the dryer
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Dry clean them. If it says so. If you put them in the washer they will shrink.

Answer by louise2 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Dry clean them! We have a place up the road that's like $2 to dry clean anything. To me, it would be worth it.

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Those home dry cleaning kits are awesome. Or could you just get a lint roller or wrap masking tape around your hand and get the cat fur off that way?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Unless you have the washing instructions, it is a gamble. Although the fabric may look to be cotton and washable (cotton shrinks too)
    the thread and facings and if it has a backing fabric, may not be washable or may shrink at a different rate. If it is only the cat hair and dust, you might try putting them in the dryer on low or gentle for a few minutes and see how it is going, instead.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I will just leave them as is. I am in no position to ruin a 60 dollar set of curtains!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2013