End of year teacher gifts? Do you give anything?

Do you buy gifts for your kids teacher? What about principals and secrataries?

I struggle with this every year!! I usually send a little something in to the teachers. This year with 3 in school it could get a bit costly! I have been super busy lately and I do not have enough gifts for everyone and tomorrow is the last day! The principal and secratary at my sons school have both been so great and I see them just about everyday, so I wanted to give them a little something. Maybe give a couple gifts and get the rest a gc? I don't know. I want to show them I am grateful but I can't spend to much either. What to do?

emeraldeyes98

Asked by emeraldeyes98 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Even just a nice note would be well received. Maybe get blank thank-you cards and write a little something about how the teachers have helped your kids or what your kids' favorite memories from the school year are. My sister teaches kindergarten, and while I think she does appreciate gift cards, especially to places where she can buy classroom supplies, she always ends up with a lot of stuff at Christmas and the end of the year that she doesn't really know what to do with. You can only use so many wallets and boxes of chocolates.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I am a potter, so this year I gave each a mug I made, with a tea strainer and a specialty blend of tea from a local shop. I packaged each in a pretty bag and attached a card. I spent $8 a gift. I gave 12 of them. I gave them to the teachers, aides, dean of students, headmaster, speech therapist, and the grandma that worked in my youngest's preschool class.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My dd gave her teacher a bouquet of flowers and the aide a mug with her fav candy. I can see how costly it would be with three kids! I sent 13 dollars total.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• In elementary school most years the class mom got together a collection and gave the teacher a gift card from the class, which was nice because each person could give as much or little as they were able. If not, I usually did a small something from my kids - usually gift cards. But I also had 3 in school, and with my oldest in special education he had 3 classroom teachers plus a speech therapist and an OT! In middle school, I've had them just pick their one "favorite" teacher and send in a card with a gift card in it telling them how much my child enjoyed their class this year.

Answer by missanc at 5:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I do gift cards and a thank you card, sometime with some chocolates or another little treat. This year I brought them chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii with cards for Starbucks for one and Target for the other.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Last year at my Son's Preschool I gave everyone lotto scratch off cards. This year I got small picture frames for the Teacher & Class Mom's. The one I gave the Teacher was really pretty & I put in a small photo of my Son & her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Nope
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I have for five years and this year, nothing. I was broke and there was no time. I did give them all Starbucks cards for teacher appreciation which was a month ago. I can't feel guilty about it. I get saying thanks but I'm not so sure I buy into purchasing gifts for people to do their jobs. Kinda harsh but that's how I feel. I'm over it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Yes, My DS loves his teacher he gave her a bracelet & a box and the other teachers he gave small bunches of cakepops
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2013