Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My mother is kicking everyone out of her house by November. My little brother is only 16 he has another year of high school left, and my mother is moving to another state. He doesn't want to go, so I agreed he can move in with me. I applied for a housing program, and they are asking me for proof that I have custody of him. What can I bring?!!! I have absolutely nothing!!! All I have is my mother telling me to take him for another year -.- and court is not an option. We do not want to go through that long process!

Anything I can bring that'll work?!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • get a notarized note from her

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Basically you do not have custody. As far as I know there is nothing you can do. He needs to go with his mother since you are not financially able to support yourself, let alone him.

    Answer by Dardenella at 5:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • you can get temp custody papers easily without court

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • Call the family court in your county to see if you can fill out a basic temporary custody form or a medical POA for him. That should be done anyway (the medical POA) in case he needs it during that year.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • You can possibly get your mother to write a short note granting you guardianship of your brother, and the ability to make medical decisions on his behalf, and then have the letter notorized. It's not custody, though, which involves more legal steps, so I don't know if it will be enough to satisfy the housing program.

    Answer by Ballad at 5:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • I don't appreciate the comments saying I can barely take care of myself, let alone my brother. Because I can. I'm not looking to live off of housing, I'm using this as a stepping stone to go to school, work, and be home with my little one with somewhat cheap rent I don't have to worry about . I'm on this now to make a better future for us, to be off of this forever!

    But thanks to the ladies that did reply.
    I'm going to look into temp custody.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • i'd call CPS on her. She is suppose to be caring for him til he's 18

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • "Get a notarized note from her"

    How?... What would she have to do?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

  • If you were to get something written by your mother notarized, it would be like any other notarized document. You'd need your mother to be present to sign the document in front of a notary public (if we need something notarized, we have used a notary public at one of three banks in our area. Just call to determine if they have a notary on staff, and then when you are planning to do it make sure to call & confirm that the notary will be present at that time.) You & your mom will need to provide proof of i.d. to the notary, as well. Then she will sign & stamp the document with her notary seal (basically authorizing that the signatures are authentic.)
    But it would make sense to call the housing program office to find out what kind of documentation would satisfy them, first. Sounds like they need proof that you are providing for him. Temporary custody/guardianship might establish that better than some notarized "note" from mom....

    Answer by girlwithC at 1:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.