OMG...How long is it gonna take her?!?!

Day 2....Has yet to clean up her toys and dirty clothes in her bedroom. Told her until she does it, she will not watch cartoons, no treats, no going outside and playing with her friends, no riding her bike. I will not cave in.....I not will cave in.....I not will cave in.....I not will cave in....I not will cave in.....
Ahhhh when will this stubbornness, hardheaded 4 yr old last??? I let her on the front porch and watch the world go by...

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What if you go in and sit with her, and direct her while she cleans up? She may be overwhelmed and not sure where to start.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Put her in her room and tell her she can not not come out until its clean, sit by the door a few minutes at a time and make her do it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You are more patient than I am. I tell my kids I am going to vacuum, and they go running. Jeez, suck up one toy one time and they never forget...
    If they have crap on their dressers, I push it off on the floor and tell them 10 minutes and it's trash.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• idk, I have always helped my kids. :/ GL maybe she will soon
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• LOL she has things to keep her amused in that messy room. When I went through this with mine, if I was ready to scream, I walked in with a trash bag and told her anything that I touched was going to the trash and I would not replace them. I started picking up some of the things that I knew needed to go out and then went for the special stuff. And When she protested, I stood over her watching and made sure the best toys were picked up last. I gave her the option of throwing anything she did not like away as well, Toys, not clothes.
    Good luck. My daughter was a , um, uh, tenacious child.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You need to go in her room and direct her. Ask do you want to pick up the clothes or toys first? After she does one thing, keep giving options until everything is done.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You go in with a garbage bag and start putting stuff in. Whatever DOES go in the bag, stick to it - you don't have to throw it out, but at least stow it in the back of your own closet for at least a month.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• At 4 it's a bit overwhelming to her.... she probably won't until you sit there and direct her as to what needs to be done and where to put it. You don't have to do it for her, but "manage" the work.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Agreed. She requires step by step instructions.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• At this age I think you need to go in their with her and assist her in learning how to clean up. Kids are not born how to clean. They need to learn from you.

Answer by louise2 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2013