What do you think?

If you put your teenage dd on birth control do you think she will get the impression that it is ok to have sex? With the way most of them think they see it as "i can have sex and not get pregnant". I have had the talk and it's an ongoing talk, not just the one time. She even know bout STDs. Tell what you think because i'm confused about putting her on the pill.

busymom_38001

Asked by busymom_38001 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No I dont think its giving them permission but its making them responsible. They are young women and its important for them to know how to be in control of their bodies and as mothers its our job to teach them that they do have some say so and should be seeing an OB/GYN for yearly tests if theyre sexually active, using condoms and birth control as well.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I believe it depends on how she is raised especially if you talk to them and have a close realationship they will most likely listen to you, but yes as sad as it is some girls just for get all what is said to her and just do it just because the other girls are doing it or talking about it and then she is left curious. But to be on the safe side go ahead and put her on the pill it sucks but hey it happens :(

None of us parents want our beautiful daughters to be giving it to whoever even though they themselves like the guy alot. but there is never no one for our daughters. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• of course its ok to have sex. and when she wants to have sex, then you will be the last person to be able to stop her.. unless you lock her in the house until YOU allow her to have sex.

if she is on bc pill then thats great. at least she wont get pregnant. and you said that she knows about std. tell her about all the other things too. like hiv. bc pill and condoms. and she is good to go.

but hey, i dont know how old your DD is.. this question is listen in 13-17 yrs. i would make sure that my DD at age 13knows that her body ect. is not ready for sex yet. at 15-17 is when most teenager start having sex. you wont be able to stop it. the more you say "no", the more interesting it will become.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think it really depends on your daughter's personality. What she believes and how she feels about herself. The only person that really knows that is you and her.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No, I don't. Sex isn't something they just say..hey, lets go have sex. Its more of a process. Usually, it starts with a relationship and then they work up the courage to do it. Most people are too insecure to just run out and have sex with a person they just met, especially teens. I do believe what level of appropriateness youve instilled in them comes into play as well. Not that it will completely stop it, but it does help them think a little harder about it. If they know that mom and dad will not approve and they have a decently repsectful relationship with you, then its likely they will wait longer. I dont think it stops ALL of it, but it does help. I am a very conservative christian parent, but if I thought for one minute that my daughter was doing something like that, I wouldn't hesistate to put her on BC. I don't think it gives her permission, but it does protect her.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well, I was 15 and wish my Mom had at least talked to me about it. Back then it was taboo. luckily I was careful enough. Birth control can also be used to help control heavy periods and hormone enhanced mood swings, which would greatly help my 16 yr old SD. Better they are on the pill and safe than afraid to talk about it and bring home a baby.
    Marena56

Answer by Marena56 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i know in a lot of states now if your child is not of legal age too consent too sex doctors will not give them birth control i would check with your state and all before talking to her about it
    Anonymous

• When i was in HS (long long time ago) I had one friend who was on birth control. I couldnt believe it! She said that her mother sat her down and really talked to her - she said that it wasnt that she approved of her having sex and actually didnt want her to but if something did happen she wanted her to be safe. She trusted her daughter but also was realistic that even the best kid may make a mistake. The secondary affect of this was that this girl was able to have open and honest talks with her mother about boys and sex. So what happened? - all the rest of us were running around having unprotected sex (some ended up with abortions or babies) she ended up graduating HS a virgin. So its not that you are providing the option of BC its what you say to her about it when you do it.

I for one will be giving my daughter the option of BC when the time comes because of the mom of a friend a long long time ago.
    WinnieM

Answer by WinnieM at 8:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009