Enterprising or obnoxious?

My five-year-old is a budding businesswoman. Her dad took her to his store today because I haven't been feeling well. She had movies and toys there, and also her new Nabi, so he was surprised when she spent most of the afternoon busily drawing, coloring, and cutting.

Then, when customers started coming in, she went out by the cash register and began peddling her little drawings on squares of paper for a quarter each. She said she was trying to make money so we could all go to Casa Bonita, which is a local restaurant with cliff divers, arcade games, puppet shows, piƱatas, and the like that she fell in love with when we went a few months ago.

Her dad cracked up. I did too, since he said so far the customers have thought it was cute, and she's actualy sold three drawings. She doesn't go to the store often, so it won't become a problem.

Would you think it was cute if you went into a mom-and-pop place and a five-year-old approached you with a drawing and a fundraising pitch, or would you be turned off or offended?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• It depends on the approach but more than likely she would be a quarter richer.
    The local Girl Scout troop has teemed up with a younger troop because the 6 year olds and the grocery stand sell more cookies. The older ones hang back and help the little ones make the change and people ( Me too) are suckers for those cute fresh faces.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• As long as she didn't keep pushing if I said no for some reason, I'd find it cute. Some kids don't know when to quit, and those are the ones that bug me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It's better than being accosted by the people who sit outside Wal-Mart and the grocery store hawking girl scout cookies and begging for money, but not by much. I am not a fan of people asking me for money, even cute little 5 year olds. Put some up by the counter and I might buy one on my way out though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I would think it was the cutest thing ever!!!!

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I'd buy a drawing or 2. That's cute!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It is cute, but I hate when I'm put into awkward situations with people asking me for money when I probably don't have it on me. Not just 5 year olds, I avoid anyone outside of stores selling anything or asking for anything.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I would buy a drawing
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• cute...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I think it's cute. :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It's cute!
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2013