Book suggestions for kids learning to read?

My son is entering 1st grade this year, and has had a little trouble with reading, so id like to practice with him. What are some good books for his level?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 7:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call his teacher for a reading list, or ask the librarian for suggestions.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• look for level 1 reading books, these are the kind my dd had in 1st grade:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?category_id=836515

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• My boys loved Biscuit, Henry & Mudge, and Mr. Putter and Tabby at that age.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Dr. Seuss seems to be fun for my five-year-old because the rhymes and pictures help her predict what words will come next.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Henry & Mudge is a great series, my son loved them. Pretty much any of the early readers are good, just look for his level and more than likely you can find a ton of books on things he is interested in.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• early reader step one, if you happen to have an ipad there are tons of leaning apps there to
    tag systems are awesome as well
    poppincorns

Answer by poppincorns at 7:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Find books the child can read most of words with just a few new ones, builds confidence

Adult can read while book first with child , pointing to each word when reading
    Then child reads the book, pointing to each word

Before reading, you can ask child to look at cover and read title, look at pictures All the way through book without reading and guess what will happen, when reading through read all through and no stopping and getting off track
    Can make flash card or two from each book with new words, keep in zip lock bag and review once a week or two

After reading a book, can give lined paper to child to write something about book and then draw a pic
    Can help with writing words, or child can be sounding out and getting it wrong but trying, like... I lov dgs, dgs rn fst
    As long as they are trying to sound out to make words and writing them down as they hear the letter sounds

I have a first grader, below peers in
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2013