2 1/2 year old wont potty he has shown intrest but still refues we have done prizes and praised him all the stuff i have read i have done now im just extreamy exhausted from it any advice will do now .

Sissy87

Asked by Sissy87 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• I child goes potty when they are physically able, and not before. My son was brushing three.
    I will give you a gimmick. Get some cheerios and send dad in with him to show him how to sink the targets.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You might consider taking a break and revisiting the issue in a few months. It sounds like you've worn yourself out trying, and maybe your kid just isn't ready.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Boys tend to take longer than girls. He's still a bit young IMO.
    My oldest son was really hard, but what finally worked was making a chart. I bought him a present, wrapped it, and left it by the chart. After 20 pee stickers, and 15 poo stickers, he got his present. And by that point, he was trained.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I have 3 kids that I have potty trained. I pushed my oldest so far that she ended up relapsing after the next baby was born. THAT was NOT fun at all. I learned my lesson. Then again, my other 2 were boys and girls are harder to potty train. I talked to many ppl about potty training and what worked for one, didn't for another. The bottom line is that he will potty train when he is ready. Like many milestones in his life, it happens on his time, not yours. I know how frustrating it is, but don't focus on that.

One tip that did seem to work well with all 3 (although it varied with how well) was to put them in "big girl/boy" underwear during the day and a pull up at night.

Good luck and hang in there!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Boys can be difficult. Take a break and try it again later. I agree with ^. When he is ready, training underware during the day, pull ups at night.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• It sounds like he is not ready. Put it on the back burner for about two or three months
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 10:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2013