Not to sound like a whiner, because it's not really a HUGE deal, but can a landlord limit my access to checking my mail?

The mailboxes of my apartment complexes are indoors between our laundry room and manager's office. It is a 200+ unit complex, and when I went to check my mail on my way home from work, it was locked with a note on the door saying that access to our mail and laundry room would now be limited to hours when the office staff were present, meaning 8:30-5pm Monday through Friday; and Saturday from 8-Noon.

I'm single, and I work from 8-5 Monday-Friday, plus every other Saturday! Can they legally do this? I am only going to be able to check my mail every other week by this schedule!

In fairness, the note also said they would be working on moving the mailboxes outdoors. I also apologize for not knowing where to categorize this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I would call the office on your break and explain your situation. Surely they can make an exception for you or work out another way for you to get your mail. If that doesn't work, I would call the post office and ask them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I think I would be more irritated with not being able to do laundry but once every two weeks.

Legally, I have no clue if they can or not.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• call and ask the Postmaster for your town... they should know for sure!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I would contact the Post Office. If it's going to be a little while before they move the boxes, you might even consider getting a PO Box for your mail. I' be surprised if they can limit your access, but I don't know for sure.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Thanks! I will have to call. I'm not terribly worried about the laundry because there is a laundromat half a block away that is cheaper...but still! If I wanted to do a quick load, yeah, that would be out of the question. They said they made this decision based on "malicious destruction of property" in the laundry room, but I don't know what all happened.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I suspect they are having break ins or vandalism problems and yes actually they can, for a very limited time and you can have your mail held at the post office for that length of time. It is what is know as a courtesy provision. One of my building was this way and several people in a week were attacked while getting the mail or in the area. We also had the office broken into in one of the attacks. The Post Office and the Police Department strongly suggested that the boxes all be moved out of doors. We did not actually shut them off at the close of business but we would have been allowed to. That was the city's ordinances where my buildings were not necessarily yours.
    I would give a quick call tomorrow and see if anything can be worked out and how long the inconvenience should last. If nothing else have you mail held and check with you city to find out what the regulations are and if you can file a complaint.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Do you want your mail stolen?

Probably not! Yuck. Aren't the boxes locked?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• And what if the postal service is trying to come in AFTER noon on a Saturday? Or after 5PM? I've had regular delivery as late as 6PM in the summer.

I suspect the postmaster is going to tell the manager that they have to have the office staffed longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Yes, the mailboxes themselves are all locked. It is just the door to the office the boxes are housed in that is locked.

And I hadn't even thought of the mail service!!! Ours usually runs around noon each day, so the weekdays should be fine, but it would be cutting it close on the weekends for sure!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I'd probably call postmaster.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2013