Does anyone know the legality of this?

I work for a company that is an LLC and has added a INC. There is a job opening under the INC that I would like to apply for. I have all of the qualifications and would be the perfect fit. I heard someone say that I can't legally work for the INC because I have worked for the LLC. Is there any truth in that? It doesn't seem right to me.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 10:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• Unless the company itself has instituted that policy, I don't know of any legal reasons why you couldn't do it. If you couldn't work for an INC after working for an LLC, it would be well known because people would have to know when they're job hunting.

I think whoever told you this is either misinformed, didn't mention it's a company policy rather than a law, or is trying to keep you from applying for the other job.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• An LLC is a limited liability company. Inc. is for incorporation. There should be no reason. Call your local labor department to find out what the laws say in your state.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• That doesn't sound right. Is there anyone at the company you can ask?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• No two separate jobs but it is always best to check it out with someone on the other side ( on the QT) just to be sure.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I'm not sure who I can ask. I've asked a few people and they said that I can't. I asked 1 of the supervisors today and he is going to check with the CEO (of course I can't ask the CEO as I'm not upper management)
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2013