How often..

have you ladies seen me swear or use profanity, in the five years I've been here?

I'm not denying that it sometimes happens, but am I somehow swearing more often than I realize? Because apparently my language is "repulsive," I was just wondering if I needed to go get myself checked out for some sort of dissociative identity disorder or something, since apparently it happens more often than I am aware of...

And, while we're on that train of thought - do abbreviations like lmao and BS count the same as outright typing profanity? If I would say it as B.S. and not b*llsh*t, does that make any difference? If someone reads it in its un-abbreviated form is that my fault or theirs?

And is swearing really something "hypocritical," for a Christian, do you think?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, honey. MY language is repulsive.
    You're just fine.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• They're just words. I doubt God is going to care if you swear.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I can't remember seeing you swear. I am sure you do, but I don't think hell and crap count. :) LMAO and BS aren't as bad, at least not according to my mom. She doesn't care if I use them when I text her but would not be happy with me saying the actual words. Not sure why, but hey, she is the authority.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• You are one of the most level headed calm members here. However said that is just pissed off that you "won" & know more than they do. :)
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• Oops *whoever* not however
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• I don't consider "Heck" to be a profane word. She had no argument from beginning to end and was simply trying to get under your skin to feel vindicated.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• "I don't consider "Heck" to be a profane word"

I think she was referring to my saying "BS" ;)
    But yeah, I'm not letting her under my skin. She's the type who would rather turn things into a petty cat fight than actually discuss the real topic, because she hasn't got a real leg to stand on. No sense in giving someone like that any further attention. Definitely not someone to let "bovver" ya, lol
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2013

• *Insert eye roll.*

Your language is fine. You swear less than most of the members on CM, including me. And I don't think cursing is hypocritical for Christians. Unsavory, maybe, but so are a lot of other things. We're not supposed to take the name of the Lord in vain, but as far as I know, there's no rule against the rest of the swearwords. Don't worry, and if someone is giving you a hard time, blow it off. It's not worth sweating over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I can't remember specifically seeing you swear, it's not your thing...at least not here anyhow ;)
    * I wouldn't consider BS as swearing really, but it is possible that someone would I guess

I say it's thier issue not yours. If someone is giving YOU crap- they have issues. Seriously.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I find it funny she got on you for saying BS, heck and LMAO and she's there emphasizing the ASS in assume....(then incorrectly referencing goats)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2013