Do you pre-cook and freeze meals for your family?

What kinds of things do you make and freeze?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Not normally, but if I am going out of town to see my mom then I might, and I used to before I had my children so I didnt have to worry about cooking after having a baby and I do it now for my dd whose having babies of her own so she wont have to cook.
    I make chili, casseroles, spaghetti, baked ziti, lasagna, and those have been the best to freeze. Make sure after making them you allow them to cook completely before freezing.

Answer by gemgem at 8:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You know about a month ago I made some chicken pot pie and it came out delicious I am glad I made extra but I have not yet thawd it out.  I was thinking that too. (your question) back then.

If you think about it it will save alot of cooking time for you and not to mention you can buy frozen dinners at the grocery stores so why not make it from your own heart...LOL Right! GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• *I meant cool not cook

Answer by gemgem at 8:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yes i do. Pasta sauce is great to freeze. I also freeze collard greens, beans, soups & whatever else i can make large batches of.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do breakfast. Just easy stuff like pancakes and waffles. Pop 'em in the toaster and I have an instant breakfast for my "lazy" mornings. I just double the recipe and freeze the left overs. Then I don't have to cook ALL the time.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I freeze my left over sauces and drippings then later add them to a similar meal the next week or so.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• lasagna, chicken casserole, chicken pot pie, mini corn dogs... I also will pre-cut veggies for things like fajitas or stir fry, and then pre-cut beef and chicken into chunks, cook them and bag them up and freeze them so that all I have to do is empty the bags out in a skillet and dinner is ready.

ground beef can be cooked and frozen for making things like spaghetti, chicken chunks freeze well too.. as does thinly sliced cooked beef.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yes, always have. I love to cook and entertain.
    DAWN-10

Answer by DAWN-10 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have found that it is easier to cook some of my meats ahead of time & freeze it. I will go to the store and buy 5or 6 lb of ground beef when it is on sale and cook it all up. Then I separate it and store it in zipper top bags. 1cup is about half a pound and is perfect to tacos & sloppy joes. 2cups is about 1 pound and those go into sauces & chili. I've also done this with cubed round steak for stews and chicken breasts for Alfredo or enchiladas.

Sauces work great in the freezer.  Oh, and I love to make double batches of meatballs and freeze half.  Then I can grab a few to add to sauces when i don't have ground beef.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The only time I froze meals ahead of time besides leftovers and certain things like cooked squash or chicken broth was right before I had my baby.
    I joined several freezer/monthly cooking groups on Cafemom, and I also asked my relatives for freezer recipes. I set a goal to cook 3 recipes each week on one day of the week. One week I did chicken recipes, the next week ground beef, etc. I ended up with about 10 recipes in the freezer.
    Make sure you label each one, and tape what has to be done after you thaw it onto the top of it.
    Good luck!
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 8:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2009