is it safe for my 14 year old daughter to get depo like the shot every three month would she be able to have kids wen she get older like if she stay on it long an wen she ready to have kids well she be able to

im just asken for her so im able to tell her if she is

mommy599

Asked by mommy599 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• This needs to be discussed with her doctor!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• ^what she said^
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• ^^What she said, she said!^^
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• My oldest was 15 when I took her to the gyn and he discussed all the options with her. He strongly urged her not to go on the shot due to the side effects some women have. She ended up going on the patch and has now switched to the nuva ring. Just talk to the gyn and see what advice they give her.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I would not consider giving it to a child so young. The depo shot can cause bone loss and shouldn't be used for more than 2 years. Here's a link that will explain the risks:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-53357-Depo-Provera+Contraceptive+IM.aspx?drugid=53357&drugname=Depo-Provera+Contraceptive+IM&source=2

It won't cause infertility but it can take a while after getting off the shot to have normal cycles and ovulate again (and at 14 that shouldn't be a problem). I suggest you have a long and serious talk with her about sex, contraception, pregnancy and STDs (depo, of course, does not protect against STDs) before wheeling her off to the doc for a shot.

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I'm against hormonal BC in girls under 18. How about arming her with knowledge and condoms? She's way too young to be considering having sex

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Depo is not a good BC for kids that young. Talk to her OB/GYN about their recommendations.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• im just asken for her so im able to tell her

so she doesnt even want the shot and youre trying to talk her into it?
    her reproductive choices arent up to you

its up to her and her physician
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• If you don't want affection to turn into conception, put some protection on that erection. I don't agree with hormonal birth control in girls under 18 either. Better they know about what could happen and how to protect themselves. My daughter knows even with birth control you could still get pregnant so if he's not ready to be a daddy then just say no.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Where does your 14 year old go that she would have the chance to have sex? I think a 14 year old has no business dating etc. It is probably best you make an appointment with her doctor so they can discuss options.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2013