My 5 year son has the strongest will power for example he will sit at the bottom of the stairs for an hour if he could till he gets his way. I'm not sure if I should be worried or is this typical behavior?

CloverE

Asked by CloverE at 9:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• typical behavior.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• So let him & ignore the behavior.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Ha! That was ME,and my son at that age
    You're in for a treat!
    It's typical. Don't give in!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Just ignore him, you can outwait him if that is what it takes.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Normal, do not give in. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• typical
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It is typical. But even though you should acknowledge his feelings, you are the Mom and you need to be in charge.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• till he gets his way.

Here is your key. You give in because he out waits you. You give up and he wins.
    I do not know what sits at the bottom of the stairs signifies, perhaps some more info? He will sit at the bottom of the stairs because he doesn't want to..... ( go to bed without a cookie?) Pick him up and move him.
    I flat ignored mine when they acted this way. If it was a matter of you are going to clean your room, in they go and that is that.
    I have vacuumed around them. Picked them um like any other furniture moved them , vacuumed and then put them back and like furniture I am not as careful in my setting down. Not rough just not like delicate porcelain either and just went about my business.
    I will sit right in front of them and relax with a book and ignore them. I will eat cookies and milk and not offer any. I am the queen of stubborn lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Typical behavior. The only suggestion I have is to try not to set up situations so they become a battle of wills. For example, my mom learned the hard way with me when I was a kid that, "You'll sit there as long as it takes till you eat your dinner" didn't work with me because I would, and did, sit at the table till she gave in at midnight. When my five-year-old doesn't eat, I just put the food away and that's what she gets next time she says she's hungry. No battle. When something does turn into a who-can-outlast-who match, don't give in. I turned off the TV the other day and told my daughter she needed to find something else to do, and she refused and said she was going to sit in the blue recliner forever till I turned the TV back on. In that case, I just ignored her and she eventually found something more fun to do than pout.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2013