NEW Laptop, HELP! The mouse (the little square for your finger) doesn't work. I can't see my cursor anywhere. What do I do?

I have had this laptop just a few days. I was using the (not sure what it's called) the little metal square that you run your finger over as well as the built-in scroll feature for the past few days, but now it doesn't work. At first, the cursor stayed stuck in one position. I tried to restart the computer with CONTROL-ALT-DEL because I couldn't move the cursor to the turn off computer part. I got it back up, but now there is no cursor at all. What can I do? It's a Gateway Windows 8 if that matters. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Technology

• yes,a plug in mouse works. I hate the track pad,so I use a mouse

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Take it back to where you bought it and have them fix it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Also, someone told me I could get a mouse that plugs in.

That would work... then you can go in a reactivate your touch pad!! I use an external mouse all the time - I hate the touch pad.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• If that's the case how did you post this??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Sometimes there is a tiny button right above or near the mousepad that can turn it off and on, or what kmath said.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Mine has the turn off button for the touch pad right below the space bar.. I've hit it on accident plenty of times.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Mine has a teeny tiny invisible dot on the touch pad. If you double tap it, it will turn the touch pad off and on.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• See if you can tab and use your arrows to get to a help screen
    PartyGalAnne

• So, Walmart???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I am posting this from my desktop. I wanted to take the laptop with me to run errands today. But, alas, doesn't look like that will be happening.

I will look for the tiny button. Maybe I accidently turned it off? Also, someone told me I could get a mouse that plugs in. Would that work?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2013