Anyone watch Paula Deen on the Today show?

Any thoughts?
I felt she was pretty genuine!

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• "We all are responsible for the words that come out of our mouth."
    Yes we should, but for something that was said 30 yrs ago? She had a black guy hold a gun to her head as he was robbing the bank!! She was being honest in the depo she had to take for court because of a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination.
    Here is what was said during that deposition ...
    Deen testified that she probably used the racial slur when talking to her husband about "when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head."
    "I didn't feel real favorable towards him," she said, referring to the robber.
    Jackson lawyer: "Have you used it since then?"
    Deen: "I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time."

cont..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I didn't - I see no good outcome from her continuing to drag this out. It's the media's baby now, no matter what she says or does. One of the tabloid shows had a celebrity panel on yesterday discussing it in-depth, the closest person related to the story was Giada (who is now getting hate mail for siding with Food Network) - the rest had nothing to do with it.

Anything Paula has to add to this discussion at this point is irrelevant, it's beyond her.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• We all are responsible for the words that come out of our mouth. When someone chooses a profession that puts them in the public eye they have an even greater responsibility to choose their words and actions more carefully. I think she is making things worse. The whole casting stones reference was silly and doesn't make me think she is taking responsibility for her own actions. I was never a fan and find it a bit scary how hateful her fans are towards Food Network and those who have spoken out against her. 

healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I've seen some outtakes on the news today, what a trainwreck! All she did was dig a deeper hole.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Aw, man.. I missed it. I'll have to check it out on youtube after work.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2013

• .. Deen said she couldn't remember other contexts in which she used the slur, but "maybe in repeating something that was said to me."
    "But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on," she said. "Things have changed since the '60s in the South. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior."
    IDK...but all this is crazy stupid.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I think it's complete ignorance to say anyone who puts themselves in the limelight deserves everything they get. Should she have kept a record of every thing she had ever done or said in her life before she decided to write a cook book and ending up on a show? This has been blown way out of proportion by a media who is hell bent on crushing any Conservative they can. The more well known the better. It started out with one greedy disgruntled employee and lies and half truth have followed. Suing employers happens every day across the country and the media doesn't give a hoot unless they can score points for one reason or another. The slur she is accused of making happened DECADES ago before she was a so called "star". Even so we all know race is a hot button issue and that's exactly why the media latched on to it. She wholeheartedly apologized which in itself is more than I have heard any liberal hypocrite do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• One more time with feeling - she wasn't fired for being a racist, she was fired for being a pain in the ass. Her lawsuit about being a racist only happened to coincide with the expiration of her contract, which was NEVER going to be renewed anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• "she was fired for being a pain in the ass"NP
    Man, if everyone got fired for that, the UE rate would be astronomical! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• This whole damn thing is fucking infuriating! People need to open their eyes and see what's really going on in the world, take off their rose tinted spectacles. There will always be racism in the world, there is still hatred in the world, but it's coming from all sides, not just the white man/woman or the black man/woman. If you don't like the way you're treated by someone, do something about it!
    Don't go to the nearest damn media outlet, or find a lawyer so a certain "race" would pay up so they get rich quick bullshit, whine and complain.But people shouldn't be afraid to open our mouths because we're scared of being called racist. I don't give a shit, call me what you want, I know what I am. I'm real and if you treat me any other way that I expect to be treated, you'll have it full barrel; white, black or not.
    This stuff going on with Deen is way over the top.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2013