In honor and memoriam (No question)

To Corey:
Kicked out of his home at the age of 17 for being gay. Died alone in a flop house in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, of AIDS, in 1978

To Stephen:
Committed suicide in 1981, at the age of 20, because he couldn't bear the thought of being gay in that society for the remainder of his life

To Chris and Jim:
Who, this year, celebrated their 35th year together without the benefit of legal recognition. Today is your day

Today is a landmark day for those who have gone before, fought the fight, lived the life, supported those they loved.

I miss my friends who are gone and I celebrate with those who are still here.

Huzzah.

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• bow down And to my cousin & her partner who will hopefully be able to have their wedding recognized in the state of Michigan.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• The first person I ever knew to commit suicide for potentially being gay was Julie, who was just 16 years old and a Sophomore in school, gay pride ribbon 1978

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• gay pride ribbon

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I am so sorry for the friend who never got to see change...but go and rejoice with the ones still here the others are rejoicing from up above. hugs

Answer by older at 12:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• gay pride ribbon to David

the world was brighter when you were in it

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• The first person I ever knew to commit suicide for potentially being gay was Julie, who was just 16 years old and a Sophomore in school, 1978

The late 70's and early 80's were a really tough time and that's where my most vivid memories remain. HIV was a death sentence that no one understood, societal pressure was intense, fear was palpable.
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Yep, I remember that. I also knew a married father of two who was a Hemophiliac. Found out he had Aids, went home and shot himself in his garage......

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• For my Best Male Friend & his partner: I can't wait for your wedding! Celebrate!
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Today I'm thinking of my brother and his partner, who spent over six thousand dollars in legal fees to get the same rights as a couple that a man and a woman can get for the cost of a marriage license.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2013