Marriage has been perverted

I'm NOT talking about gay marriage! I'm talking about this, why do we need the government's permission at all to get married?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Because marriage is a legal contract, it's religion that actually has nothing to do with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It's not so much about getting permission as it is about legal recognition. Letting gay couples have the same benefits as any other married couple. Today is a wonderful day :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Marriage and Matrimony are 2 separate things

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Exactly! ^^^

A ceremony with or without religion has no legal barring. The only thing that constitutes a legal "marriage" is the certificate.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Yep! Marriage is not just a religious ceremony anymore. It is a legal thing now days.

Answer by louise2 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

Marriage was always a legal thing, thousands of years before Judaism was invented, it was a legal thing. It didn't become a religious thing until recently.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• We need the legal system to hold people to the contract when it comes to divorce, death, inheritance rights, etc.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• You don't need the government's permission - I never asked if it was okay if I got married (although in retrospect, I probably did need someone to tell me "no" and send me to my room, but that's another story). Marriage is a legal contract and thus you need the appropriate legal documents in order to have that contract.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It's not about permission. It's signing up for the extra privileges and protections marriage provides. No one needs permission to be together. This protects spouses and children in the event of death or divorce, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Oh and for homosexual marriage, it wasn't that they needed permission, it was that they needed for the people telling them they couldn't get married to be told it's not Constitutional to do so ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2013