How can I get my back payment for food stamps back after being denied for missing docs and missing an interview ?

I applyed for food stamps and sent all nessary docs via fax to the dept of children and families. Each call I made A rep told me to give it time for my case to be reviewd we have up to 30days . I asked if they recived my doc and was told again give time and waite for a decision letter. I then recived a denial letter When I called bak I explained in called constanlty & what i was told by prev reps the rep I was speaking to became very rude said its was not there job to tell me all the info needed just to answer my questions. I requested to talk to a manager and was advised one would call after 48hrs( which would be today and still no call). I called back the same day to make sure my request was put in and the rep didnt place request as she told me she would. Help me please this agency was set up to help the children on those in hard times and it seems Ive been meet with anger and resentment by every rep I speak to at the agency! I feel they dropped the ball and now I only resource is church and food banks. Is there a way to get the back food stamps once I am aproved ??? Has anyone else been thru this same situation ?

AhumanBeing

Asked by AhumanBeing at 3:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Money & Work

• interesting screen name
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Go physically to the office with the copies of the paperwork. Turn it in and request to speak with a supervisor(be ready to wait). No you won't get back pay food stamps.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• if you missed an interview and didn't turn in all the docs- I seriously doubt there is anything you can do

*saying this based off of the title you gave this- as for them being rude...get used to it most of them seem that way-but my guess is it is the job that makes them grumpy
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Is there a way to get the back food stamps once I am approved

the key part in this sentence is ... once you are approved
    imo, they will not give you anything before you are approved

i could be wrong, but when filling out paperwork that goes through the government
    they are right, no matter what, and when you are approved THEN you get help

i would be very surprised if they admitted to no mix up and give you back 'benefits'

church and food banks- the only resource i can think of until food stamps go through
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Obviously you are getting nowhere with them over the phone. I would go in person.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Go to the office. I don't think the back date anything with food stamps though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Rudeness unfortunately seems to be a part of the DNA of the government programs designed to help people. I agree; go to the office, ask for a supervisor and be prepared to wait and to deal with any impoliteness you encounter for the sake of your children. You probably won't get back benefits; just apply all over again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• No you won't get "back" pay, it isn't money that is owed to you. If YOU missed the interview or didn't send in some of the paperwork, then that is on you and you need to reapply. I agree that taking it in and speaking to a supervisor is the best way to do it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Well you managed to eat the months you didn't get it, so I doubt they are going to give you more food for this month, the next, and so on because you screwed up.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Reapply again.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2013