Now what? long, sorry. I'm prepared for the judgy witches but hope there's some help too

I am 18 and was emancipated some time ago. I have been raising my kid (now kidS) ages 27m & 11 weeks and finally decided on a career in youth corrections. I passed my entrance exams no prob but my parents wouldn't give me tax forms needed for financial aid. After months of the school, me, a pastor, and legal aid trying to make it happen, they would not budge. School eventually said to wait a few years when I wouldn't need parents tax info anymore. Financial aid director had a private meeting with me and said there's another way.... and less than 2 weeks later I married a gay friend and returned to school with his last years tax forms and my marriage certificate. This process and the stalling took every spare penny I had and I emptied piggy banks and couch cushions for bus fare and diaper wipes.

Fast forward to NOW and college is good to go, supposed to be starting in mid/late August. New problem... day care wont take us til after Christmas. When I started this process my kids were in the same age group (baby class) but now they're not. There's no negotiating this, no asking nicely, etc

In mean time since I'm married, food stamps are hugely down and rent/water/utilities/etc is hugely up. I cannot use my student loans for huggies and bananas.

I have ZERO clue what to do now... I am absolutely stuck. There is no one to watch the kids for free and my "husband" has never been alone with them. My parents are off the table obviously and kids dad is out of picture except for his generous $87 a month payment

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Money & Work

• Wow, that's a pickle. Is there not another daycare you could try?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• If you cant trust the guy with your kids why the hell did you marry him?! Do you have a friends that could watch the kids while you get a job?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Ballad: its a large daycare near college with county aid program but also a college program where as long as my GPA is very high I wont have to pay a copayment for their tuition. it's what I county applied for and was accepted into for them.... but at the time it was 2 in the baby room. Now it's 1 baby room and 1 toddler and there isn't space for it til winter

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It sounds like you really need to get a job to afford food and daycare.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Does husband work? If he's around, he'll have to do it. He'll have to learn sometime.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• The only thing it seems you can do is to start school the next semester. It sucks...but seems your only way out.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Divorce?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I know it sounds scary but I honest to God found a baby sitter for my kids on craigslist. She was a mom trying to make ends meet just like me. We email and talked on the phone a few times. I met her at her home several times with and with out my kids. She acquired a background check for her self and her husband for me. She had excellent references. Her price was very negotiable because like I said she trying to make ends meet also. We just clicked and even though I no longer need her to watch my DD she is still a good friend. I see her often. I was extremely careful and it worked out. This is not an option that everyone would be comfortable with and I certainly recommend anyone going this direction be cautious. If it doesn't sound or feel right- it probably isn't.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• where are you located by the way?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2013